This is SpARTa : meet John Mendelin

Opportunities in the arts are abound during the fall, and Pleasant Valley junior John Mendelin is ready, once again, to take advantage of them. An already accomplished pianist, vocalist and Thespian, Mendelin dedicates his time to improving his abilities in preparation for the upcoming All State auditions, musical, and piano competitions.

Mendelin’s love for the arts was first kindled when he received his first piano lesson eleven years ago. From that point on, he has been heavily involved with the arts throughout his education, taking part as a member of extracurricular vocal groups and competing in music competitions. His hard work and persistence have culminated into many awards – the most notable being his selection into the 2017 All State Chorus and the 2018 All State Jazz Choir.

While he enjoys singing, Mendelin makes time for other arts activities that spur his interest, especially theatre. His most notable role to date is ‘Paul’ in Pleasant Valley’s upcoming production of Kiss Me Kate. He also has served as lights head and designer for Pleasant Valley productions of 12 Angry Jurors, Leaving Iowa, Drowsy Chaperone, and Scapino.

Mendelin believes his passion for the arts stems from the opportunity to be expressive and interpret it in different ways while getting to collaborate with others. “I enjoy the arts because I love working with other people to make something beautiful and thought-provoking,” he said. “The arts also give me the chance to express myself in ways that can’t be done through other means.”

When asked about the stress that comes with performances, Mendelin claims that the results make it worthwhile. “I wouldn’t say art is completely void of stress, as it does takes a lot of work,” Mendelin explained. “However, the times during my week when I get to engage in music are times when I feel most fulfilled. The work and stressful times are consistently worth it.”

After high school, Mendelin aspires to pursue a music major in college, specializing in vocal music. However, with two years left in his high school career, Mendelin has artistic goals yet to accomplish.