The debate between Netflix, Hulu, and Prime

Before online streaming services were created, people would have to make a long trip to DVD stores to rent a movie. Now with services such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video, everyone can watch thousands of movies and shows in seconds; however, there has been a lengthy debate on which of these services is best.

With 118 million subscribers, Netflix has become a powerful company many people are aware of. This pop-culture powerhouse has acquired many customers through its variety of movies and shows and its remarkably low price. Netflix also gives customers the option of renting DVDs for a small fee added to the streaming price.

Netflix offers many various streaming plans. For $7.99/month, one can purchase the Basic Package, which streams in standard definition and allows customers to watch on one screen per household. The second plan, the Standard Plan stands at $9.99/month and offers HD streaming while Netflix can be watched on up to two screens at once. The Premium Plan is $11.99/month and has Ultra-HD streaming with up to four screens at once.

Netflix has a wide range of shows and movies. The service offers 4,010 movies and 1,569 shows. Compared to other services, Netflix’s movie selection seems to be lacking, but there is an abundant amount of TV shows.

Bailey Edwinson, a senior at Pleasant Valley, uses Netflix as well as an Amazon Prime Video account. She said she likes Netflix much better than Prime. “I think Netflix is better because they make their own TV shows and movies, and they usually keep up to date on outside TV shows. However, Netflix doesn’t always have the newest popular movies like Prime does.”

Moreover, Netflix launched Netflix Originals a few years ago. Netflix originals are movies and shows that are produced by Netflix and are only available on Netflix. There are many Originals that have become very popular, ultimately helping Netflix gain many more subscribers.

Similar to Netflix, Hulu is another prime streaming service. With its collection of movies and shows, Hulu has attained 20 million subscribers. It offers many plans and also has an option of Live TV, which the other services do not provide. One of the drawbacks of Hulu is that it has ads in the Basic Plan, unlike the other services. All of Hulu’s plans offer HD streaming.

Hulu’s Basic Plan is $7.99/month. This plan gives one access to all of Hulu’s library; however, customers can only watch on one screen and this plan has ads. To get rid of ads, one must pay an extra $4/month.

Hulu’s Live TV is $39.99/month and gives customers access to the streaming library and many live TV channels; customers can watch on up to two screens with this plan. Hulu also has the option of watching on an unlimited number of screens for $14.99/month extra; the other services do not offer this option.

Hulu’s content is quite impressive as well. Hulu has deals with studios that allows it to provide the latest episodes from current TV shows to its viewers. With Netflix and Amazon Prime, viewers have to wait a year for the next season to stream, but with Hulu viewers can watch the next episode within a day of it airing on TV.

Sam Hutton, a senior at Pleasant Valley, owns Netflix and Hulu accounts. She likes Netflix better because she prefers to watch the older shows that it offers instead of the constant upkeep of the new tv shows that Hulu provides. “I also like Netflix more because they don’t have commercials, unlike Hulu. It’s also better because I think it has much better Original shows.”

Amazon Prime Video may not be as popular as Netflix and Hulu, but many users still love it. Firstly, it is included in the $99/year ( $8.25/month) price of Amazon Prime, which offers many other benefits, such as free shipping, reduced prices, and more, for Amazon users. Prime also has many shows and movies that both Netflix and Hulu lack.

Despite being a good option, Prime has some negative aspects, as well. For example, one cannot pay for Prime monthly like the other streaming services; it can only be paid for yearly. It also lacks a grand movie and show library; Netflix and Hulu’s movie and show collections are much bigger than Prime’s.

Jeanelle Cho, a senior at Pleasant Valley, has an Amazon Prime Video account. She says she doesn’t use it often because most of the shows and movies aren’t very popular. “I don’t like the content on there; there are occasionally really good shows, but I would say Netflix has more popular shows and movies and a wider range in variety.”

While all of these streaming services have their benefits, they all have drawbacks as well. The debate on which is best goes on as everyone has their own preferences in shows and movies. Netflix may have the most subscribers, but Hulu and Amazon Prime have a lot to offer as well.