Fall improv night success

Pleasant Valley held their annual fall Improv night, and it was an absolute hit on Thursday, Oct. 11. The theater was packed, and the crowd was excited to see all four teams show off their craft for the first time this school year.

The three varsity improv teams are Hatrick, WACIT, and the new team, Kakistocracy. Hatrick consists of Antonio Bagley, Matt Bolin, Brenner Stickly, and for one scene, guest alumni and former team member, Robbie Williams. WACIT includes Jimmy Guest, Odin Mcdonald, Leah Sanders, and Rachel Schwarz. Kakistocracy members are Siobhan Morley, Joe Dilley, Lola Johannsen, Jared Jones. The JV improv team members are Taze Wilson, Erica Heiselman, Laci Roberts, Max Broussalian, Caroline Sierk, and Julia Leach.

Before the show began, Francis Dunbar, the Pleasant Valley improv coach, told the audience all about improv’s social benefits. “I think that everybody should take an improv class,” he stated. “There is no job interview that you will have where improv will not be helpful.”

The night started off with playing the classic game of ‘Madame Zelda’ where Roberts acted as the fortune teller. Dunbar got suggestions from the audience about major life events, then the rest of the improvers had to act out that event while Roberts guessed it.

Then, each team played a game by themselves. Kakistocracy played a new game called Bucket of Water. At all times, one member had to have their head stuck in a bucket of water, while the others created a scene.

On improv night, Morley said, “It is really great to see how the student body as a whole has embraced improv night. It’s one of the performances that the drama department puts on that everyone can relate to and enjoy.”

JV improv had some fun with puns in a game called 185, while Hatrick played a game where they interviewed a couple about their first date then they replayed their date in front of them.

“My favorite part of improv night is the audience,” said Hatrick member Bolin. “I love how they get to be involved through the night and enjoy what we are providing for them.”

WACIT played a game called Dead Bodies. Two of the four members acted out a scene, and when Dunbar called switch, the other two members had to switch in and continue acting the scene with the other two acting dead.

After a short intermission, improv ended the night with a few more games. Hatrick was announced the winner of the fall improv night.

Bolin said, “We had a lot of fun at improv night. While winning was cool, we just love making people laugh and seeing people enjoy the comedic art form.”

Don’t miss the next improv night in the spring on March 28 at 7pm.