Pleasant Valley volleyball potential MAC champs

Photo Credit to Spartan Shield staff.
The Pleasant Valley volleyball team celebrates after winning.

Pleasant Valley Volleyball has a shot at winning the Mississippi Athletic Conference (MAC) and tying with Davenport Assumption.

On Oct. 9, the Pleasant Valley volleyball team traveled to Davenport Assumption, determined to win the game. A lot was on the line, the MAC title was at stake. If PV lost, they would not have a shot at winning the MAC. However if they won, they would have a chance of tying for MAC Champions with Davenport Assumption.

Going into the game, the Spartans had one loss and the Knights were undefeated, so it was imperative for the young athletes to perform well if they wanted to win the title. The first set was a close one, ending 25-23 Spartans. The second set was 25-19 Spartans, and the third set was a battle, but the Spartans came out victorious with a final score of 28-26.

Erica Brohm, a junior at Pleasant Valley High School and one of two team captains, said, “I was confident through the whole match. All I knew was that I wanted to win and I wasn’t going to walk out of that gym without getting revenge from last year.” Brohm referenced the PV versus Assumption game in 2017 where Assumption swept PV in three games, effectively taking away the Spartan’s opportunity to be the singular MAC Champs of that season. Pleasant Valley shared their title with Bettendorf.

She went on to say she felt no pressure, and she felt the rest of the team didn’t feel pressure either. Brohm expressed her pride for the team’s composure and confidence, even during the third set.

The team pulled through, with only one service error out of all three sets.

Beth Peterson, a senior on the volleyball team at Pleasant Valley, said the team’s goal was to come out strong and carry the momentum through all of the matches. She said, “What really helps with volleyball is bringing energy and confidence. When we bring those two things on the court or the bench, we do great things.”

There is one game left of the MAC season for the Spartans. The last game will take place at home versus Burlington on Oct. 15. In order to secure the title of MAC Champs, the girls must beat Burlington. Peterson said, “Every practice we get better and we grow as a team.” She has high hopes for the team moving forward.

The Spartans may be the only ones taking home that title if Assumption does not win their last MAC game of the season. Assumption plays an away game at North Scott and they will have to fight for the win. The MAC Championship title is not going to be easily handed over to the Knights.