This is spARTa: Erin Balzer

This week’s featured artist is Erin Balzer. Balzer is a senior at Pleasant Valley High School and is heavily involved in the art program.

When Balzer was in fifth grade, she became interested in an anime art style. Looking back to this beginning phase of her work, she is able to reflect on her growth from this stage and observe how she has now been able to produce art that holds true to her individual style.

Now a serious artist, Balzer focuses on realism but still enjoys adding a cartoon-like sense to the art. Of the mediums she works with the most, she creates three-dimensional pieces and oil paintings. She said, “I’m a huge fan of oil realism and figural work, but I can’t stand abstract work in the slightest. Something about three colors slapped onto a canvas doesn’t sit right with me.”

Regarding her inspirations, Balzer said that Pleasant Valley High School’s art department holds a special place in her heart and continues to encourage her. She loves the atmosphere of the studio when everyone is busy creating their work. Everyone feels comfortable and open in this environment.

She loves how teachers are very encouraging towards individual students and do not force a specific style onto anyone; everyone is pushed to pursue a unique style. For anyone seeking artistic encouragement or activities, Balzer said, “Ceramics and Art club are also great ways to get to know other art students and expand mindsets outside of classrooms.”

One of Balzer’s favorite professional artists is Nicole Marie McCord, and she is intrigued by her horror-based humanism style. Another favorite of Balzer’s is the “Flesh” collection of paintings from the artist Ivan Albright.

Balzer is looking to pursue a career in the art field. In the beginning steps of her education, she will remain in the Quad Cities to pursue a degree in fine arts from Scott Community College. After this, she may attend Iowa State University, which is appealing to her because of their programs in political science and two-dimensional art. Once she is finished with post-secondary school, Balzer aspires to work as a museum curator.

Artwork is an important part of Pleasant Valley High School, regardless of if students are creating it or observing the works of others. Erin’s work is very special and is appreciated by members of the art community.