DC Universe and Disney new streaming services

Marvel shows “Luke Cage” and “Iron Fist” were cancelled by Netflix Oct. 19. Other Marvel and DC shows have been pulled from Netflix and moved to Disney’s new streaming service and DC Universe, respectively.

Fans are hoping Disney’s streaming service will pick up the characters Luke Cage and Iron Fist and create a new show, “Heroes for Hire,” which would feature both characters in their partnership seen in the comics.

“I think that it’s unnecessary that they’re canceling these shows and/or moving them to a different platform. A lot of the Netflix superhero shows are darker and not child appropriate, which is why it appeals to a lot of people,” said senior Jeanelle Cho. “I don’t think it is appealing to put Disney princess movies and Marvel superhero shows on the same streaming system.”

In Aug. 2017, Disney announced it would be pulling the majority of its movies and shows from Netflix in order to bring these directly to the consumer through its own streaming service. Disney spent $1.58 billion purchasing a majority of BAMTech.

BAMTech is a video provider that prioritizes streaming. Founded by Major League Baseball, BAMTech also provides their services to HBO, PlayStation and WWE Network.

Set to come out in late 2019, Disney’s new streaming service will feature classic Disney animated movies, Marvel movies, “Star Wars” movies and original Disney shows and movies seen on Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Disney XD.

Disney also purchased Twenty-First Century Fox for $71.3 billion, so fans could look forward to the already existing Fox movies that feature Marvel characters, such as the X-Men movies, on the streaming service.

Senior Mahum Haque said, “I personally don’t like the idea of Disney having its streaming service because it’s just another service to pay for that’s not as beneficial as Hulu or Netflix.” Haque uses Hulu and Netflix to watch TV shows such as “This is Us,” “Fresh Off the Boat,” “How to Get Away with Murder” and “Friends”.  

DC has recently started their own streaming service, called DC Universe. It features new live-action shows, like “Titans,” as well as animated shows. “Young Justice” was pulled from Netflix and is on DC Universe with the next season set to release on the streaming service. DC Universe also features live and animated movies.

The streaming service also features shows from the 70s and 90s, like Wonder Woman and Batman series. DC Universe also features select comics. If the licensing deal works out, blockbuster movies like “Wonder Woman” and “Justice League” could be on DC Universe.

The monthly cost for DC Universe is $7.99 or an annual cost of $74.99. There is also a free seven-day trial.

“Netflix or Hulu lets you watch a variety of things, but these new streaming sources only give me one kind of content, and I prefer everything I want to watch in one location. A streaming source like Hulu or Netflix can give me that,” said Haque.

DC Universe is up and running. Disney lovers can look forward to that specific streaming service in 2019.