Nothing but drama

Vashi Chintalapalli
Pleasant Valley theater students at the Iowa Thespian Festival in November.

This past weekend at the University of Northern Iowa, Iowa high school thespians gathered to participate in and support one another in various forms of theatre. Schools from river to river are represented and students have the opportunity to make new friends through their shared artform.

Students from state-wide theater troupes bring all types of events ranging from costume construction to large main stage shows performed for all festival attendees. During the 2016 festival, Pleasant Valley Drama took Sweeney Todd the musical to the Iowa Thespian Festival.

Senior drama club member, Sujay Marisetty, was part of the Sweeney Todd cast. “It was exciting to see that our talent could be showcased on a stage that is bigger than ours at PV. I didn’t expect the audience to cheer as loudly or as passionately as they did throughout the entire performance. It was by far the most enthusiastic audience I have ever performed for.”

Another way students can get involved at the Thespian Festival is through individual events. Students can choose to perform in categories such as solo musical theater, group musical theater, solo monologue, and technical theater design and construction. Students are evaluated by judges and may be selected to perform at the International Thespian Festival in June.

Second place solo musical theater winner and Pleasant Valley junior, Amy Oberhart, has been performing for the majority of her life. She has had much experience bringing events to festivals, but has never been selected for such a high honor until now. “I love to sing and act, but there’s just such a vulnerability when singing by yourself in a room full of peers, judges, and complete strangers. Yet, as soon as the music started, everything clicked.” No doubt, Oberhart had a successful weekend full emotion. Looking back on it, Oberhart said, “now that I’ve been selected to go, it’s a real confidence boost.”

After individual events are over, students are able to participate in workshops that are held around the campus. The workshops give students the opportunity to learn about their favorite aspects of theatre. Professional performers and technicians come from across the country to teach workshops to the aspiring future thespians.

Awards ceremonies and events are held throughout the weekend to give students the opportunity to meet other students and support live art in Iowa.