PV talent showcased in The Nutcracker

Photo credit to Joe Maciejko
Pleasant Valley students Haley Zellmer, Sarah McVey and Daniela Rybarczyk perform with area professional dancers in the Ballet Quad City production of “The Nutcracker.”

Three of Pleasant Valley’s talented dancers helped to put on a stunning show of “The Nutcracker” performed by Ballet Quad Cities on Dec. 8 and 9. 

Ballet specialists Haley Zellmer, Sarah McVey and Daniela Rybarczyk each had unique roles in the play and contributed to the show’s standing ovation.

The dancers have been preparing for this festive show for months now, with auditions having taken place in September. After long hours and hard work at the Ballet Quad Cities studio, the performers amazed the crowd with their strength, grace, and skillful abilities.

Many audience members found the show to be especially refreshing with a creative take on the story, new and improved costumes and more young male dancers than years previous. The fresh story, which kept the most important traditional aspects of Clara’s adventure, was able to highlight the dancers’ strengths in an artistic fashion.

Senior Haley Zellmer had several roles in the ballet, including a soldier and a flower, among others. Growing up as a dancer taught her strong work ethic which she applies to other aspects of life. She said, “It taught me time management. I have two jobs, school, ballet class, rehearsals and volunteering. Dance has taught me that if I work hard enough, I will improve and get bigger roles in ballet productions.”

Zellmer also mentioned ballet’s role in helping her to become a quick learner. Dance is not a slow-paced art form, and students must have a great memory to succeed. She commented, “I have been able to apply my ability to learn quickly to my classes. I’m able to easily retain the information I learned in class.”

Sarah McVey, a sophomore, also commented on the positive effect dance has had on her life. She said, “You learn how to persevere and work hard to achieve the parts that you want. I have found that hard work pays off in school and in dance.”

McVey agrees with Zellmer that time management has been an important skill that dance helped her develop. Both girls have danced very important roles while juggling tests and projects. They both claim that their passion for dance comes from expressing themselves, but they appreciate the work ethic they have gained through their passion.