This is spARTa: meet Lars Meseke Wren

Haleema Waheed
A piece of ceramic work by Lars Mesekewren.

Pleasant Valley High School is filled with many different types of talent, ranging from star varsity players to first chair violins. However, the writers and artists of PVHS often get overshadowed. Lars Meseke Wren is a current senior who is passionate about visual arts as well as writing.

Meseke Wren stated he had an interest in the arts since his freshman year. Students at PVHS are required to take the pre-requisite course, Art 1, before they can take any other class. “Art 1 really opened the path for me in terms of art. I mainly focus on writing but art lets me express myself in ways writing can’t capture.”

Writing still proves to be his favorite form of medium, however. “Although I love drawing, writing isn’t something I could ever give up.” He’s been writing for as long as he can remember and lives to share his words with others.

PVHS offers many different courses in art. Some of them include: Drawing/Advanced Drawing in which students focus on using charcoal and how to use shading values, Painting where students learn the different types of paint and how to use them, and Ceramics which focuses on pottery to create different items or sculptures.

For writing, the classes offered can range from Creative Writing, where students are allowed to express themselves more freely than in classes such as AP Literature or American Literature. Many free-writing or poetry classes aren’t offered, but rather intertwined in the curriculum of many English courses.

In terms of art, his preferred medium is drawing. “My favorite art class so far has to be Advanced Drawing. I enjoy using the different methods to capture colors and values.” But he showcases his talents in many other different mediums as well, such as ceramics.

There are various students involved in the arts at Pleasant Valley High School, but Meseke Wren stands out due to his ability to adapt to different types of mediums of expression. Aimee Peters, a PV art teacher, comments, “Lars shows his talent in multiple ways, which is very different from what we usually see.”