Positive reactions to new art installation

Photo credit to Christy Bishop
The new art installation is ready to be viewed by students in the new addition of the school.

A brand new installation of PV student art was recently unveiled, causing many students to stop and admire their peers’ creativity.

When the new edition to the school was unveiled after Thanksgiving break, many students were eager to check it out. While some students could not wait to see the new tower and rooms, a surprising number of people found themselves stopping to look at student art on display.

A department that often gets overlooked, the art department was finally placed in the spotlight. Pieces that won awards at the Festival of Trees were among the many that were hung for the school to see. Students were amazed by their classmates abilities as they gazed at the elaborate artworks of their classmates.

Trinity Malmen, a senior and supporter of the art department, especially loves the new installation. She said, “We have so many talented artists, so I think it’s great that we can see their art.” She hoped the new showcase will allow students to hold more appreciation for both the art department and the student artists among them.

Pleasant Valley High School is often seen by its students as a school dedicated to success, competition, rigorous academics and athletics. However, many students are coming out of PV with plans to pursue a career in art. These students do not always get as much recognition as the state championship teams or the high scoring academics, but they are succeeding just as much.

Libby Staver, a senior varsity athlete, said the new installation helped her to see the talent in her classmates. She even admits stopping in her tracks the day the display came out in order to take in all elaborate work. She said, “Whenever I go by it, I am always impressed. I think it’s really nice to showcase some of the 3D pieces that we wouldn’t be able to see on the upstairs wall.”

Staver also liked the prime location of the new display. She thought the installation being in a strategic location on the ground level and on the way to the new parking lot will make it more accessible for people to see, thus having a larger impact. Staver said, “I have even heard people from different schools tell me how cool the artwork is when they walk into our school. I think it brings out the talent we have.”