PV choirs perform at District Choral Festival

Photo credit to Alexander Haack
Concert program cover for the 2019 District Choral Festival.

On February 4th, over 560 students from Pleasant Valley schools congregated in the high school gym to showcase the district’s choral program.

This year marked the 35th annual District Choral Festival, and featured many different groups: three junior high ensembles, four high school choirs, four high school jazz groups, and the 6th grade choir. The concert is given a theme each year, this year’s being radio show. The choirs sang a wide range of songs, featuring pieces from artists and groups such as One Direction and Queen.

High school choir director Meg Byrne likes how this variety can attract visitors who may not normally enjoy traditional choral music. “[District Choral Festival] is a fun concert, and its lighter music appeals to a larger variety of music tastes. It’s a good way to connect with the community, as there is something for everyone,” she said. Several songs were geared toward audience recognition, setting up for an enthusiastic crowd rendition of Sweet Caroline, a popular tune at sports competitions.

Students participating in this event also notice how it positively impacts the community. Junior Aidan Fitzgibbon said,  “[District Choral Festival] shows how involved anyone can be in one activity and how supportive everyone is of the choir program. It’s a great experience for both families and students.” Byrne also commented on the impact it has on students, saying “it’s important for choir members to hear other groups, and this concert allows for all our students to listen to each other.”

With an abnormally high number of snow days and half-days, the choir members had to work exceptionally hard in order to be prepared for the concert. With only nine full days of rehearsal, they were able to perform their arrangements memorized and with instrumental accompaniment, demonstrating the professionalism of PV students and their directors.

The high school choirs are now starting to prepare for solo and small ensemble competitions that will take place in April as well as the state large group competition in May. With more time to prepare for these performances, the tradition of choral excellence at Pleasant Valley is bound to continue.