Athlete of the week: Alton Barber

Alyssa Paulson
A senior photo of Alton Barber wearing a St. Ambrose sweatshirt which is where he is attending next year.

For most people, when they think of sports, they think of activities like football. Most people do not think of bowling as a sport, but for Alton Barber it is.

Barber is a senior and participates in many activities, all four years in student council and band, one year in choir, many years playing baseball, and his entire life bowling.

Barber started his long career of bowling when he was five-years-old. His parents had put him in a children’s bumper league, and according to him, he was “decent for a five year old.” He continued to play recreational leagues which were more for fun until around sixth or seventh grade. He did not play during eighth grade because school and other activities were becoming very busy.

During his freshman year, Barber rediscovered his passion for bowling. He planned to play baseball for Pleasant Valley but was cut. Looking for something to do during the summer, he saw “kids bowl free” at a bowling rink. While bowling there, Barber saw Josh Delcorso who said he should join the PV bowling team. Barber joined the team, but because of a band concert, he had to miss the first varsity meet and played on junior varsity for the rest of his freshman year.

Sophomore year was filled with even worse luck. Alton had high hopes as he started on varsity, but after two meets things turned sour. He had to have his appendix removed. This injury caused him to miss every other meet besides the last one. On the final meet of his sophomore year, Barber bowled on junior varsity even though his score beat everyone on varsity’s score. This same year the bowling team went to state. Barber was able to attend, but unable to bowl because he missed the other meets. Moving into junior year, Barber started on varsity and kept his place. According to him, he was “not the best, not the worst, but getting better.”

This year Barber holds the top spot on the varsity team with an average of 215.8 points. This average puts him in the fourth spot in the MAC and in the top twenty in the state of Iowa for high schoolers.  With all of the hard work the team has put in, Barber is hopeful that the team as a whole or individuals on the team can make the journey to state bowling. Looking towards next year, Alton plans on attending St. Ambrose University to continue his academic and bowling career.