Artist achievement: PV’s own honored with state recognition

On Oct. 1, Devin T. Hanson was awarded with the Outstanding Secondary Art Teacher of the Year Award. He was honored with this state-level award at a banquet in Burlington, Iowa by the Art Educators of Iowa (AEI). Hanson is greatly involved with this organization, and serves on its board as All State Art Chair.

Mr. Hanson was nominated by a college professor from UNI who is familiar with what Hanson has been doing over the years. After her nomination was reviewed by a panel with Art Educators of Iowa, they chose to recognize Mr. Hanson. The various things Mr. Hanson does outside of the classroom here at Pleasant Valley—personal ceramics work, volunteering, adjunct position at St. Ambrose University, and leading the Iowa All State Art program—added to his qualifications for this award.

This year will be Hanson’s fourth year teaching here at Pleasant Valley High School. He grew up in Omaha, Nebraska and earned his B.A. in Art Education (with an emphasis on Ceramics) from the University of Northern Iowa. He currently teaches Art I (with Mrs. Peters), Drawing and Painting (once a semester), Ceramics, Advanced Ceramics and at the high school. Hanson also shares his passion through managing the Ceramics Club at PVHS.

Hanson acknowledges the PV district and how it has played a role in his career. “Pleasant Valley provides me with a large budget and tons of support for project I want to take on. My favorite part about teaching at PV is the interactions I have with students in Ceramics Club. We always have a great time completing projects and going on workshop field trips.”

Previous to his career at PV, Hanson worked as a substitute teacher at Southeast Polk Community, Ankeny Community, and Des Moines schools. Furthermore, he worked with the International Baccalaureate arts curriculum and pottery program at Central Academy in downtown Des Moines. Additionally, Hanson is a working ceramic artist. He has received awards for his creations and he shares his work at various Midwest galleries.