This is SpARTa! :Q&A

Sally Walker, senior, is a stand out performer on the stage and you can almost always find her in a production held by PV’s drama program. Walker’s character and outstanding acting has people loving her on and off the stage. Walker has performed in around 20 plays, including Amadeus, Fiddler on the Roof, Murder in 3D, Jungle Book, and the first American amateur production of Six Characters in Search of an Author. Walker has also achieved honors such as Drama Club President and State Thespian Officer. Walker is one of the seven Officers in the state of Iowa that represents all the theater kids in the state. Walker also advocates for the arts in the Capitol.

Q: What is your favorite genre/type of plays to perform in and why?

A:  My favorite genre of show is dramatic. One of my favorite things to do is make the audience cry on stage.

Q: What is your favorite play you’ve been in and why?

A: My favorite play I have been in is Fiddler on the Roof. The cast and crew in that show were absolutely amazing and it was so much fun to play Tzeitel.

Q: What was your favorite role you’ve played and why?

A: My favorite role was Constanze Mozart in Amadeus. She was my first lead and an amazing role. Her character development was so challenging, making it such a fun role to play.

Q: What got you into theater?

A: What got me into theater was my older brother. I mean, growing up I always had to be the center of attention, and I guess when I saw my brother on stage, I thought that was the best thing in the world.

Q: When did you start performing and what made you want to keep doing it?

A: I started theater when I was in kindergarten in small church shows, but it wasn’t until my seventh grade year, when I was in Groovy, when I really started theater. What kept me doing it was how I felt after every performance. Just listening to an audience clap is the best thing ever, knowing all your hard work has paid off.

Q: Do you plan on being in theater in college and maybe even past college?

A: Yes. I plan on going into theater management with a minor in theater.

Q: What kind of impact has being in drama had on you?

A: The impact theater has given me is confidence. When I was first given a lead my sophomore year, I finally thought I was good at something. Once I got Constanze, I was so confident with myself and that affected how I talked and how I held myself. If it wasn’t for theater, I wouldn’t be able to speak in public without shaking and stumbling over my words. Theater gave me the leadership skills I need to take on leadership positions such as Drama Club President and State Thespian Officer.

Q: What would you say to a kid who is thinking about being in theater?

A: Go for it. I promise you will not regret it. The people you meet and the memories you will make are the best around. Nothing compares to the world of theater.