How seniors affected freshmens’ years

Photo taken by Alyssa Paulson
Senior Alton Barber, right, hangs out with freshman Ryan Sadler, in the morning before class.

With the seniors graduating soon, it is the perfect time to look back at how they inspired and helped the freshman class throughout the course of the year.

Freshman Erika Holmberg, a band student, was pleasantly surprised by how welcoming all the grades were. “Shreya Khurjekar has made me feel very welcomed in the band community by befriending me both in and outside of class,” she said.

Holmberg felt encouraged to work hard and have fun. She felt as though her time in band this year has been heavily impacted by Khurjekar. Holmberg strives to follow her footsteps and make All-State band in the coming years.

Khurjekar sees it as part of the seniors’ job to welcome freshman into band. “ The way I see it, I think it’s important for the upperclassmen to be friendly and welcoming to the freshman because when we were freshmen, we wanted to be treated the same way,” she said.

Khurjekar thinks highly of Holmberg and believes she is one of the most talented musicians to go through the band program. “I am very thankful to the band for introducing me to her, and I believe she has everything it takes to succeed in our band community and beyond,” she said.

In girls swimming this year, Lauren Puthoff, a freshman, felt very supported by her teammate and friend Lauren Groenenboom. “She was like the team swim mom and always looked out for us. She always knew how to make us laugh or smile through a hard practice. Also, Lauren took the time to really become our friends outside of practice by taking us to meals before or after practice,” she said. Puthoff feels strongly that Groenenboom did her best to support and lift the spirits of all the swimmers on the team.

Groenenboom also had a good experience with the upperclassmen on her team when she was a freshman. “The upperclassmen made my transition into high school a lot easier. I knew how much my relationship with the upperclassmen meant to me, and I wanted to be that person for some of the younger girls on the team,” she said.

Groenenboom is glad the swim season went well and is excited to see the freshmen continue to grow as athletes and hopefully get to return the favor to future freshmen one day.

Ryan Saddler was a freshman in choir this year and enjoyed the fun atmosphere Alton Barber brought to class. “I look up to Alton because he is someone that can have fun and still do well in what he does. I am impressed with his ability to continue to get good grades and balance music, school, and having a life, “ he said. Saddler will not only miss Barber but all of the senior class because they made school such a fun and inviting atmosphere.

Barber wanted to make the most welcoming environment he could this year for the freshman. “I’ve tried to be welcoming and friendly to all of my freshman friends to give them a good first year at the high school,” he said. Barber is excited to graduate this year but has enjoyed looking back to his freshman year and remembering how the upperclassmen really set the tone that year for his high school experience.

As the freshman move up in the years, they will remember how the upperclassmen treated them and hopefully pass it on.