Large Group Reflection

Photo taken by Drew Anderson
Director Rod Medd stands along side his band after their performance.

Pleasant Valley’s Band, Orchestra, and Choir programs all competed in the State Large Group Festival on May 3 and 4. Overall, Pleasant Valley accumulated over five Division I ratings; however, the directors believe the experience itself means more than any rating.

Rob Medd, one of the high school’s four band directors, believes State Large Group is beneficial for a handful of reasons, one of which is being able to perform at such a nice venue. Medd was content with his band’s performances at the festival. “If the students are happy with their performance, then they did their best and that’s all that matters,” he said.

Sophomore Erin Douglas offers a different perspective regarding the State Large Group Festival. “I am in Gartner’s band and while I’m not the best, I am working hard to be better. Unfortunately, a lot of students in my band have just given up which makes it really difficult to see Large Group as beneficial,” she said. Douglas was happy with how she performed individually, but not necessarily with the overall performance of her band.

On the other hand, senior Emma Tews thoroughly enjoyed her Large Group experience. “Our band program does a good job of emphasizing the importance of the performance without letting it control how they teach the music,” she said. Tews enjoys having the ability to play more challenging music because it push herself to become a better musician.

Along with performing with their day-to-day choirs, choir members use Large Group as an opportunity to split up into a Men’s Choir and Women’s Choir. David Baxter believes this gives them an opportunity to grow as a whole program. “Allowing younger singers to sing with more experienced singers gives the younger singers a good example and something to work for,” he said.

Junior Grace Welveart enjoys Large Group because she feels as though it helps her choir grow as an ensemble. “We are given a short amount of time to prepare for Large Group after ensemble festival, but it pushes our ensembles to the very limits of what we can do,” she said.

Pleasant Valley showcases wonderful performances every year at State Large Group. Students and directors alike believe success at Large Group is defined not by a rating but rather by growth as an ensemble and as musicians.