Which sandwich chain has the best subs?

Brenner Stickney
Senior Abby Roth enjoys sandwiches from Jimmy John’s for dinner.

There are many chain sandwich shops in the Quad Cities, but not all are created equal. With so many choices, students should know where they can get the best sandwiches.

It would be unfair to compare every restaurant that sells any sandwich so this will be a comparison of Jimmy John’s, Subway, Hungry Hobo, and Jersey Mike’s. “I love sandwiches from so many different places that I can’t choose a favorite,” said senior Joel Kachappilly. Although some students can’t decide a favorite, there is clearly one restaurant that is better than the rest.

The worst of these four places is Jimmy John’s for many reasons. The first is the lack of options. There are minimal ways to customize a sandwich without it costing extra. Another reason for Jimmy John’s being last is because they only serve cold sandwiches. The only good thing going for Jimmy John’s is their bread, most of the time the bread at Jimmy John’s is very soft.

Even students who work at Jimmy John’s don’t love it. “I work there, but I would never choose to go there to buy a sandwich,” said Jimmy John’s employee, Christine Lyon. “There are so many better places to get a sandwich.”

A better place to go than Jimmy John’s is Hungry Hobo. Hungry Hobo takes third place because it serves hot sandwiches. Although there is a lack of customization at Hungry Hobo, they do offer more meats to choose from and their bread is nearly as good as Jimmy John’s.

In second place is Subway. Subway is better than Jimmy John’s and Hungry Hobo because of all of their possible sandwich combinations. The bread is not as good as the previous places, but there are also more types of bread available at Subway. “I made so many different types of sandwiches while working at subway,” said senior Jacob Bandy. Subway can also toast their sandwiches.

The undeniable first place is Jersey Mike’s. From the soft bread to the incredible customer service, Jersey Mike’s is reliable for a good time and even better sandwiches. There is less customization than Subway, but sandwiches, hot or cold, are incredible as they come. Out of all the sub shops, Jersey Mike’s has the best employees who always make customers smile.

Each sandwich shop is good in its own way, but when comparing solely the sandwiches and employees, it is clear which is the best. Jimmy John’s and Hungry Hobo have great bread. Subway has a lot of customization, but Jersey Mike’s has the title for the best chain sandwich place in Bettendorf and Davenport.