Spartans ward off Muskies’ comeback attempt

Ian Wilger
T.J. Brown gets the call from the sideline

The Pleasant Valley football team squared up against the Muscatine Muskies in frigid temperatures Friday night. The Spartans utilized late game heroics to get their second win for the 2019 campaign.

Halfway through the first quarter, the Spartans defense let in a four yard run by Muskie running back, Tim Nimely. Down 7-0, the Spartans quickly recovered and drove down the field. Junior quarterback Ryan Mumey connected with receiver Jose Lara for a touchdown. At the end of the first quarter, the score was tied at seven.

In the second quarter, Pleasant Valley went on to score three straight times. With 10:51 left in the second, running back George Venzke punched in for a one yard touchdown and put seven more points on the board. Following that, Mumey rushed in for another Spartan touchdown from seven yards out with 1:06 left in the quarter. A late field goal helped the Spartans jump out to a 24-7 lead at the half.

Following a scoreless third quarter, the Spartans waltzed into the fourth quarter with what looked liked to be a coast to the finish line for a dominant win. Fans were leaving the stands on both sides to beat the traffic, but they didn’t know that the Muskies were not done yet. Down 17 with 12 minutes left in the game, the Muskies started to mount a comeback.

With a five yard run from Muskie, Eli Gaye, Muscatine inched closer to the Spartans’ massive lead. With hopes dwindling on the 1-4 Muskies’ season, the defense stepped up big and scored two points on a safety. Still down eight with 4:30 on the clock, the Muskies received the free kick after the safety, and took their final scoring drive of regulation down the field, finishing on a one yard run from Tim Nimely.

Down two, Muscatine needed to convert their two-point conversion in order to keep their hopes alive for a win in overtime. A pass from Jake Draves to Nick Peterson tied the game at 24. With two minutes to go, the Spartans had a scare when Mumey threw an interception. Choosing to play conservatively and for a win in overtime, the Muskies ran the clock out.

It only took one overtime sequence to decide the winner of the game. Muscatine got their chance to put points up on the board first in overtime, but were forced to settle for a 22 yard field goal, giving them a 27-24 lead on the Spartans.

Pleasant Valley’s coach Rusty VanWetzinga chose to play aggressively, as the Spartans had a fourth down inches from the goal-line. VanWetzinga sent in the play call to the Spartan huddle. Mumey took the snap, and reached the ball over the line for the win 30-27 win.

With two complete swings in momentum during the game, Pleasant Valley managed to outlast Muscatine’s efforts and hold on for the win. Venzke said, “It was great to get the win, we finished strong at the end and got the win which we needed to keep our season alive.” He said.

Pleasant Valley’s overwhelming ground game that racked up 187 yard, was key in the Spartans win. With only 62 passing yards, Pleasant Valley managed to make it count when it needed to, with one touchdown in the air.

The Spartans are in a desperate situation, needing to win out to have any chance at all a playoff spot. Following the game, Mumey said, “As a team we have to keep the intensity up at practice and keep going hard. We have 3 tough games left and we have to win all 3 in order for a shot at the playoffs. We have to stick together and play for each other.” He said. With only a few games remaining, the switch needs to be turned on for the rest of the season.

The Spartans take on Iowa City, Friday the 11th.