This is SpARTa! :Q&A with George Ramey

Pleasant Valley junior, George Ramey, fell in love with making pottery during his freshman year ceramics class and has been doing it ever since. One of his biggest inspirations, PV Art teacher, Devin Hanson, says, “He is probably the most talented potter we have at PV and has a lot of work at the school.” Pottery is usually an overlooked art, but Ramey makes sure that his talent is displayed and has made a name for himself at PV.

Q: When did you start doing pottery?

A: I started on the wheel during my freshman year ceramics class and have liked it ever since.

Q: What made you want to continue doing pottery and become advanced?

A: Well, after freshman year I came back planning on starting on the wheel again and when I did, I was so much better after the summer so I continued.

Q: Who has inspired you the most?

A: I would say Mr. Hanson has been the most inspirational. If it weren’t for him pushing me and making sure I got things done, I wouldn’t be as good.

Q: What is your favorite piece of art you have created and why?

A: My favorite piece would be my lamp that I made last year out of three thrown pieces, which was pretty fun and difficult to do.

Q: How do you come up with new ideas for pottery?

A: My new ideas kind of just happen or I see something online and I go off of it to make something new.

Q: Is pottery something you want to continue to do in the future?

A: For my future with pottery, I don’t really know what I want to do. Part of me wants to continue but the other part of me wants to just keep it as a way of making money on the side.

Q: What advice would you give to someone who wants to learn how to create pottery?

A: Just go with the flow of the pot and see what you want to make. You have to just do it.