Planting for a cleaner future

One+thousand+trees+just+like+this+one+will+begin+being+planted+in+the+Quad+Cities+area+starting+this+spring.+
Regan Denny
One thousand trees just like this one will begin being planted in the Quad Cities area starting this spring.

As years have passed, the ozone layer has been thinning, allowing harmful ultraviolet radiation to come through; this is causing glaciers to melt, oceans to warm and plants to die.

The depletion of the ozone layer also has numerous negative consequences for humans as well, including an increase in skin cancer, cataracts and a higher possibility of DNA mutations due to a decrease in levels of folic acid. 

All of this can be traced back to a seemingly smaller issue: trees. The destruction of trees has had a substantial impact on the environment.

A local teen plans on making his mark on the world by planting 1,000 trees this spring. Asher Schroeder, aged 13, made it his mission to help the planet for his Bar Mitzvah project. Schroeder gives light to his intentions. “We will slowly have an effect on the world making it a better place,” he said.

The student from Davenport was inspired by a larger project. “The 1,000 trees originally came from the one million trees project who donated 1,000 trees to many different places,” he stated.

Schroeder is making this all happen with the help of Living Lands and Waters. He asked them to donate 1,000 tree saplings for him to plant in the community. With the help from his rabbi — and hopefully those in the Quad Cities area — this goal can be accomplished.

In order for all of this to turn into reality, Schroeder is seeking help from fellow community members. People living in the Quad City area can help by planting a tree in their own yard. Many local temples and churches have devoted themselves to helping distribute trees to people wanting to help out. 

PV senior Jenna Riordan gives her opinion on the situation. “I think it’s good that he’s leading by example because a lot of people talk about helping the environment but never act on it,” she said.

With all of the pollution that the Earth is experiencing, these trees are a very important step for the Quad Cities. Schroeder shows PV students that a person of any age can make a difference for the environment.