Go Green with the Environmental Club

Last year, seniors Nia Howze and Gia Mariani started Pleasant Valley’s first ever environmental club. This club hopes to inspire high school students in learning about sustainability of resources, climate, and how one person can make a change in their community and even the world.

“We started Environmental Club so that we could make a difference in our school district. We both care about the environment and thought creating a club would be a good opportunity to get others like us together so we could start making an impact.” Senior Mariani says. “It’s important because a lot of students aren’t aware of environmental issues or don’t think they can make an impact, but in our club we educate on environmental issues.” Environmental issues don’t just affect the environment but also communities, societies, health, and more.

“I had been thinking about creating an environmental club since freshman year. Sophomore year, I gave a speech in my English class about the importance of the issue of climate change after reading the book This Changes Everything by Naomi Klein.” cofounder Howze said. Ever since reading this book, Howze was inspired to dedicate her time to help the environment. “ (Mariani) brought up the idea of starting this club to me, and I knew it was the perfect opportunity. As they say, great minds think alike! “We strive to make a change in our community and a change in the world.” says Howze.

With the troubling effects of climate change impacting our country, it is important to be informed on what we as humans can do to help. If you would like more information or are interesting in attending a future meeting, Environmental Club meets every Monday at 3:30 in Dr. Lundberg’s room.

$580
$1000