5 DIY projects to keep you busy in quarantine

Riley Gau
Senior Riley Gau displays her bleached sweatshirts and sweatpants that she made during quarantine.

With little to do and a lot of time, people are running out of ways to pass the time during quarantine. Many have turned to Netflix, movies, TV, books, tik tok or puzzles, but what about ‘do it yourself’ projects? 

A lot of the stuff purchased by consumers can be homemade. Without the ability to go to the stores, DIY projects have become a quarantine hit. Here are 5 of the most trendy DIY projects to pass some time.

1. Bleached clothes

Bleached clothing is one of the biggest fashion trends of 2020 as of right now. Many teens are wearing bleached shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, jeans and shorts. However, the closure of clothing stores has made it difficult for people to hop on this trend. Bleaching clothes at home is a cheap and easy project that doesn’t take a lot of time. Try grabbing an old t-shirt or pair of jeans and bleach them to make them look new and trendy.

2.  Wall painting

With a lot of time on their hands, many people are finally redecorating their bedrooms and painting the walls is the first step. Instead of just painting over the old color with one new color, try a pattern or place lines of tape across the wall to make different sections and paint them all different colors. Although this is a very simple update, it takes a lot of time and can make a really cool accent wall. 

3.  Fabric masks

In the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak, the CDC recommended that society wear masks in any and all public spaces to help prevent the spread of the virus. This announcement caused a shortage of masks, making it difficult for people to buy them for protection. People are now using old fabric to sew their own masks to wear in public. This simple project can be very helpful and stylish when taking a trip to the grocery store or on a walk.

4.  Whipped coffee

Daily trips to local coffee shops may not be possible for all coffee consumers. At home it can be difficult to make a drink that tastes close to the same as one from a barista. For those who enjoy iced coffee, this DIY project will provide a drink nearly identical to one from a barista. There are numerous tutorials on how to make this drink online and on Tiktok.

5.  Friendship bracelets

With summer coming up, now is the perfect time to stock up on bracelets and anklets. There are millions of patterns available on various websites that give instructions on how to create a beautiful bracelet. Simply look up a pattern and grab some string.