Iowa reopens its doors

Whitey%E2%80%99s+Ice+Cream+reopens+its+doors+on+May+11%2C+but+has+sign+on+the+door+stating+that+the+lobby+is+closed.+
Morgan Ramirez
Whitey’s Ice Cream reopens its doors on May 11, but has sign on the door stating that the lobby is closed.

For the past month Iowa has been shut down with a majority of businesses and attractions being closed. Normal life was on hold and it is about to make its return. 

In late March, Governor Reynolds made the decision to close the majority of stores and only allow restaurants to do carry out or curbside pickup. A lot of employees were laid off and businesses were not making as much money. 

On May 13, Reynolds announced Iowa will be loosening economy restrictions and is allowing certain things to open back up. Bars and parks are two of the things that won’t be opening up due to it being hard to maintain social distancing. 

Majority of businesses and shops opening up are only allowed to have 50 percent capacity at a time. This allows for some normalcy to return while still trying to keep a safe distance from other people. 

TBK Sports Complex is reopening on Saturday, May 16 with certain restrictions. The complex is a hot spot for families and kids around the Quad Cities. It is also home to many sports clubs such as Platform Elite volleyball club. 

Senior Katie Gropel has played for Platform Elite since seventh grade and was looking forward to the rest of her senior season. “I am very excited for the gym to open again because I have been missing it,” she stated. “I can’t wait to start the grind again.”

Many people were also looking forward to the reopening of Whitey’s Ice Cream. On May 11, Whitey’s decided to reopen its doors after a month of being closed, but only for drive-thru orders. Many Pleasant Valley students work at the popular ice cream store and are very thankful to be able to get back to their job. 

Ever since the reopening, Whitey’s has been slammed to the maximum and had to make some adjustments on how they were going to continue serving the community.

Sophomore Lily Law has been working for Whitey’s for almost a year. “I was very excited when I heard we were reopening,” she said. “In the midst of all this crazy, Whitey’s is a familiar place to be, and I am able work with my friends in a safe way.”

Many precautions are being taken as the state starts to reopen and life starts to return to normal. Businesses can get back to being busy and people can get back to doing their everyday things.