Showcasing jazz tunes

On Monday, Nov. 14, Pleasant Valley Bands presented a jazz showcase. The night began with the Junior High Jazz Ensemble. Directed by Brooke Hendricks, this group played “In A Mellow Tone” and “Caravan.” Immediately following was the Junior High Jazz Band, under the direction of Jacob Davis. These students performed “How High The Moon” and “Lake of Make Believe.”

After the junior high portion of the concert, the three jazz band groups from the high school took the stage. Jazz Band Three, led by Tara Daurer and Brian Gartner, played four pieces. They closed their part of the performance with “Mambo Loops”, the piece featuring the most soloists of the night. Jazz Band Three included two clarinet players and two oboe players as well, unique from the common brass instruments and saxophones in jazz band.

Following the first high school jazz band, Rob Medd directed Jazz Band Two. This was his first concert, and he guided the group through four pieces as well. Jazz Band One closed the show with it’s director, Drew Anderson. This group performed five pieces. The band highlighted Nick Hofman on the guitar and Alyssa Paulson on the bass.

Hannah Allen, junior, enjoys the different style of music that jazz band presents. As compared to general concert band, jazz band allows for more improvisation and solos. “It’s fun to be able to experiment with soloing and being around friends.”

In future news, the Jazz Band students will also be taking a trip to Chicago in February to attend the Frank Mantooth Jazz Festival.