Why every high school student should have a job

Aimee Peters
Senior Emmie Peters working as a barista for Dunn Bros Coffee Shop.

Only 20% of high school students were employed in 2018. While factors such as not having transportation or enough time may play a role, this number is still too low.

Students who are able to work should be employed. I have heard all of the excuses before because I used to be the one making them; “I don’t have time” or “I don’t want to waste my high school years” were my go-to excuses. After getting a job as a busser at Central Standard, I realized that my assumptions were completely wrong. My realization brought me to believe that every high school student should have a job.

Jobs offer a taste of the real world. Responsibility, time management and financial liberty are all traits that come with working. High school years are some of the most developmental years, so having these traits will lead to success later in life.

To the students that use the lack of the time excuse, I implore you to track the amount of time you spend watching TV or scrolling through social media. All of that unproductive time could be spent earning money and developing important life skills.

Amelia Prescher

Senior Justin Shin thought his grades would suffer after getting a job, but they actually improved. Commiting a large portion of his time to his job got rid of his procrastination and helped him to be more efficient when doing his schoolwork. “The biggest change that I noticed after becoming employed was my improved time management skills,” Shin noted. “With extra responsibilities, I had to learn how to manage my time.”

Another reason students should have jobs is because it is better to have your first job in high school as opposed to college. College is an entirely new experience; you go from living with your parents to being completely independent. Not knowing how to deal with the extra stress of a job can be overwhelming for new college students.

Senior Jon Conway recently moved from Bettendorf to Seattle where he attends college classes. During the summers in Bettendorf, he was a lifeguard at the county pool. “I’m grateful that I was able to have a job during my high school years,” Conway said. “College classes are already stressful enough – I would be overwhelmed if I was also having my first job.”

Financial liberty is another perk of having a job. Before getting a job, Shin often felt limited by his financial situation. “My parents have always been stingy with money. After getting a job, I felt free,” Shin expressed. On top of being financially independent, getting a job forces you to learn how to do things like filing taxes.

Every high school student should have a job. Whether it is responsibility, time management or financial liberty, jobs offer an opportunity to develop important life skills. If you have time and are able to work, then you should become employed.