Spreading music through the pandemic: How COVID-19 has affected PV Choir

PV%E2%80%99s+Chamber+Choir+records+for+their+fall+concert+in+the+theater+while+socially+distancing+and+taking+other+precautions.+
David Baxter
PV’s Chamber Choir records for their fall concert in the theater while socially distancing and taking other precautions.

With the unique year that COVID-19 has caused, something that has remained is the effect of music throughout the PV Choir program. 

Students in the four choirs- Pleasant Valley Singers, Concert Choir, Women’s Ensemble and Chamber Choir, have all adapted to the new regulations put in place and have continued to perform their vocal talents. 

This year, students now report to the theater for class, as opposed to the choirs rooms, in order to maintain social distancing guidelines with integrity. It is also required for students to wear masks for the duration of the period.

On students virtual learning days, or for students who are 100 percent online, they must join a mandatory livestream of the class.

Senior Rachel Lyon, who has been in Chamber Choir for the past three years- the most prestigious of the four, appreciates the distanced rehearsals and the opportunity to sing. “Daily rehearsals in the theater are a way to keep some normalcy in the midst of everything,” Lyon explained. “It gives us something to look forward to each day.”

Meg Byrne, director of Chamber Choir and Women’s Ensemble, has encountered some difficulties with the new teaching methods. We are dealing with the hybrid schedule just like anyone else. But for us, that means our ensemble, which is supposed to be all one team, is practicing in two separate halves, then being put together for performances,” Byrne explained. “That can be tricky to teach, and definitely changes the learning experience of our students.”

In years prior, students met with an assigned teacher for private voice lessons once per a specific period of time, known as a cycle. This year, however, lessons have gone virtual.

Many students, including Lyon, are in favor of these virtual lessons. “You get to decide from the given time slots and see what fits your schedule and it’s a lot more flexible,” Lyon expressed. “It’s something that I think could be kept for the upcoming years.”

These adapted rehearsals and lessons allow singers to continue to host concerts, adapted into a compilation of pre-recorded videos, to showcase their hard work, talent and improvement.

The new format of the concerts have faced mixed opinions. Some students appreciate how the concerts do not take up a student’s entire evening. Others do not like the environment of virtual concerts, preferring the atmosphere created between the audience and performers at in-person concerts.

Lyon understands both perspectives. “For concerts, the entire choir shows up and it’s something to really look forward to,” Lyon described. “Having no audience can be a little disappointing though because feeding off the energy that everyone gives off is amazing.”

Byrne agreed with Lyon about the bittersweet nature of the virtual concerts. “While we missed having an audience, we also heard from family members all over the country who loved that we were able to bring it to them, no matter where they were,” Byrne shared. “We’re not sure what we’re going to do for future concerts, but that was a nice way to start the year.”

Despite this year’s circumstances, students and directors can agree that there is an importance of spreading music through the pandemic. Whether the importance lies in making new connections, meeting new people, enjoying music or having fun in general, choir students will continue to create music amongst themselves and for the community.

Byrne believes, without a doubt, that choir is a wonderful place for students to express themselves during this difficult time. “I think the isolation so many experienced during the shutdown caused them to desire that communal music experience even more,” she said. “Our students have a right to a well-rounded and developed music education at all times, and while teaching in a pandemic has thrown us a few curve balls, it is still our mission to provide that education to all of our students.’

$580
$1000