REVIEW: A man with a mission: “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”

Ani+Pradeep+sitting+down+to+watch+Borat+2+on+Oct+24.+
Akash Pradeep
Ani Pradeep sitting down to watch Borat 2 on Oct 24.

Directed by Jason Woliner, “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” was released on Amazon Prime Video on Oct. 23. With the returning character of Borat played by Sasha Baron Cohen, viewers could finally see what this popular reporter has been up to for the past 14 years.

The first movie was released in 2006, making “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” very anticipated. The style of the movie is a mockumentary, where Borat, a fictional character, interacts with real people, giving the audience humorous interactions. The plot revolves around Borat’s return to the United States of America, having to redeem himself after bringing shame to his country, Kazakhstan. 

Furthermore, the movie has caused widespread controversy as many of the interactions were political. Borat talked to many Republicans, including Rudy Giuliani, exposing their behaviors. Borat goes to Republican conventions, including Mike Pence’s convention, where people sing songs of discrimination. These antics by Borat highlight the hatred placed on the Democrats by the Republicans. 

Even more, many of the scenes in the movie were hilarious. Scenes, where Borat ran around in his underwear or being very unaware of his surroundings, provided the audience with comedic material. Borat then buys his first phone, which he cluelessly uses, inciting laughter in the audience.

However, some of the scenes were very extreme. One scene involved Borat’s daughter exposing herself in front of a big audience. Additionally, Borat celebrates when he finds out the Holocaust is real. Even though these scenes are intended to be humorous, they obviously offended the groups that were on the receiving end of the jokes. This made the movie uncomfortable at certain times. 

The movie lived up to its expectations, garnering an 85% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. While some people might say that  “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” is disgusting and political, many agree that it shed light on the political differences between people and showed that people need to come together to achieve success. Especially since its release was near the upcoming US presidential election, the movie gave a glimpse into the unknown behaviors of individuals of different parties leading up to the election. 

Overall,  “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” attracted tens of millions of people on its opening day, showing that no matter when sequels are released, many people will always be hyped.