Ryan’s recovery: Ryan Mumey’s recruiting stumped due to an injury.

Dawn Mumey
Ryan Mumey up to bat during his junior baseball season

Ryan Mumey has been an essential part of the Pleasant Valley baseball team since he was brought up to varsity his sophomore year.

Mumey finished his junior season with a plethora of achievements under his belt. He was named first team all-conference, first team all-district and third team all state all on top of being a very important piece of the Spartans earning a trip to state last season.

Although Mumey excelled on the baseball field, he also played a prominent role on the football team. Mumey lined up at wide receiver all year for the Spartans, until one play occurred that could potentially rearrange his whole future.

After pulling down a pass in PV’s substate final game against Iowa City West, Mumey was brought down by a Trojan defender and was extraordinarily slow to get up. He later found out that he separated his right shoulder, which is his dominant arm, tearing all the ligaments in it.

Mumey got surgery in early Nov. of 2020, leaving him in a sling for one and a half months, and then diving into three months of physical therapy right after. Mumey has just recently completed his last day of physical therapy, but is still not allowed to participate in 100 percent of baseball workouts as the team is kick starting their season.

This injury has not only affected Mumey’s preparation for his senior season, but it has also stumped his college baseball recruiting process.

Prior to the injury, Mumey had been having some discussions about playing baseball for Division 1 programs, and since then has only talked to a handful of JuCo schools. “I was never able to attend camps or visits when I was in my sling. It seriously affected my recruiting process,” he said.

Mumey has been playing baseball since he was a toddler, and for his most important season to be put in jeopardy because of an injury, did not settle well. “I have been training my whole life for this year,” Mumey stated. “Not being able to go into it fully prepared truly is disappointing.”

Mumey is justifiably upset about the shortened preparation time, but his coaches are confident he will bounce back come game time. “It will allow Ryan to be even more focused and will head into his senior season with even bigger meaning,” PV assistant baseball coach Jeff Lindmark said.

Fortunately for Mumey and the PV baseball team, Mumey plans to be back to 100% by mid April, giving him about a month to get ready for his final high school season.

$480
$1000