District wide success in PTA Reflections program

Nathan Lokenvitz
The PTA Reflections website makes it easy for students of all ages to access the program details.

The PTA Reflections is a program that allows grades pre-K through 12 to unleash their creativity and create a wide variety of original art in response to a student-selected theme. 

The program was founded in 1969 by Mary Lou Anderson, a then Colorado PTA President, and had 254 submissions from 31 different states in its inaugural year. Today, more than 300,000 students from all 50 states participate in the program each year. Over the years the program has had an impact on many families, students and communities. 

The main goal of the program is to allow  students to express their feelings, develop artistic talents and increase their love of learning.. The program has created a lot of opportunities for individuals around the country to express their talents in ways outside of the classroom, including students at PV.

In this year’s PTA Reflections program, Pleasant Valley had 19 first place finalists, all of whom will be moving on to the national round of judging with their work. 

Junior Ela Ersan is one of the 19 first place award winners and has high praise for the program as a whole. “I feel very honored to have my work being considered at the national level. I’m glad I participated in the program this year,” Ersan said. 

The program has also been praised for its ease of access to all who want to participate. “I thought the process was laid out well and the directions were easy to follow. I would encourage students of any age who want to work on improving their artistic ability to participate,” Ersan commented. The PTA Reflections program is set up in a way that allows artists of all mediums to be able to participate. 

As of now, the program accepts submissions in six different categories: categories here 

The underclassmen are responsible for a significant number of PVs overall success, with 11 out of the 19 first place award winners coming from the elementary schools. 

Sophomore Halea Damm participated in this year’s competition and is sure that the younger generations will continue this event for many years to come. “The younger talent within the district and across the state continues to grow year after year. This program is sure to have many great submissions in the future,” she said. 

Over the years this program has succeeded in allowing students to express themselves and their talents in ways outside of the classroom. With participation continuing to grow, the PTA Reflections program is sure to continue to provide opportunities for students and their artistic abilities throughout the future.