Pointers for pointing the camera

Tips on how to get that perfect photo, even without an expensive camera

In the digital age we live in, photography has become increasingly popular due to the opportunity for photo sharing on most social media websites. Along with that, people also are becoming more and more interested in making their photos look good, not just snapping a picture and moving on. Especially on Instagram, people are interested in sharing photos that are not only of personal importance, but also artistically pleasing. But how can one take excellent photos without investing in an expensive camera?

Fortunately, most of us have smartphones that come with excellent cameras already built in. However, a lot of photography is not only based on the camera, but on the thinking and brainwork that happens behind the scenes in order to create the perfect photograph. Here are some tips and tricks that anyone can practice in order to get that Instagram-worthy shot.

1.) Rule of Thirds

The rule of thirds in photography is the principle that most photos look better when the main subject is not in the center of the photo, but offsetted either to the right or left side. If you imagine a nine-square grid over the photo, and some camera settings actually allow you to see this, try to get your main subject to mostly remain in either the left third or the right third. This adds depth and interest to your photograph. “Anytime you’re not sure what to do, always go back to the rule of thirds,” says art and photography teacher Aimee Peters.

2.) Leading Lines Photography

Leading lines in photography give your eyes a “pathway” to follow that can either lead your eyes to your subject or just provide interest in your photograph. Roads, powerlines, bridge cables, or just about anything that is a line, curvy or straight, can act as leading lines in your photograph. Try out different objects, either in nature or in urban areas, and see the effect it has!

3.) Angle

Before you take a photo, be sure to take some time to think about the angle of your photo. Don’t be afraid to put some thought into it; good photographs are always well-planned. Think about capturing objects from angles that the normal eye usually doesn’t see from. To take photos from a straight-on and eye-level view is usually fairly boring.

4.) Background

When taking photos, always be conscious of your background. The simpler it is, the better. If there are random objects and/or cluttered messes in the background, your photo will not look artistic or well thought out. Solid color backgrounds, such as plain black, work very well.

5.) Patterns

Look for patterns, either in nature or in man-made structures, and try to capture them close up. This creates eye-catching and aesthetically pleasing photos. “We talk a lot in photography class about finding patterns and textures in things. Texture is so important,” adds Peters. “Become really observant of the details in the world around you.”

6.) Sunset photography/lighting

“When shooting outside, do it in the golden hour, which is right before the sun starts to set,” says senior Rachael Souhrada. Good lighting is essential for a good photo, and an easy way to achieve that is to shoot your photo in the hour right before the sun sets in order to achieve a warm glow in all of your photos.