Top 5 Best Workout Split

Brady Hunter
This is Level 2 Fitness at the TBK Bettplex.

As the fitness industry continues to grow, members of clubs, gyms and clinics have found it efficient to create workout splits for both easy access and organization to specific exercises that should be trained in the same time period. Without further ado, here are the top five workout splits recommended for regular gym-goers. 

1. The upper-lower training split

Focused on the two main sectors of the human body, the upper-lower training split is good for individuals who lack the ability to go to the gym six to seven days a week. Not only does this training method allow for great flexibility and time for rest, it includes many complementary exercises that all in all help build muscle and/or burn fat relatively quickly. 

2. Push/pull/legs routine

The push/pull/legs routine (PPL) is a fan-favorite workout split. On “push” days, athletes train their chest, shoulders and triceps while “pull” days consist of back, biceps, core and forearm focus. Lastly, athletes would have leg day twice a week which is extremely beneficial for muscle growth. Including a PPL split into your routine allows for one rest day a week to let muscles relax and reach their state of equilibrium. 

3. The five-day split 

Known to be a routine for “frat boys” and high school students, the five-day split consists of the focus of five key muscle groups that reserve a day per group. For example, Monday includes chest, Tuesday back, Wednesday arms, Thursday shoulder and Friday legs. The beauty of this split is that athletes get the weekend to rest. This workout routine would be great for people with busy schedules on the weekends or who tend to focus on solely one muscle group per training session. 

4. Total body training

Total body splits are for those short on time who want full-body stimulation. High frequency stimulation of muscles and moderate training volume fits many goals, including fat loss, strength building and muscle hypertrophy. These workouts include meaningful movements for athletes who are looking to accelerate quicker, jump higher and run faster. For some, the total body method is a great way to get some exercise in, boost the heart rate and start their day off strong. For others, this split helps create a more balanced athletic lifestyle.

5. Intensive/extensive training

Every workout contains a certain amount of sets, reps or rounds of specific movements. Whether it’s a compound lift like the bench press or barbell back squat or a set of sprints, each series requires either high or low volume to boost intensity. This type of exercise bases the workout off of neuromuscular demand. For example, one day of the week may be a heavy and explosive day while another may be a metabolic and higher volume workout. This type of split is much more advanced and is used among professional athletes and physical therapists. 

When in doubt and struggling to find motivation to workout, try one of these lifting splits to get you onto the right track!