PV musicians thrive at 75th all state music festival

35+PV+musicians+across+the+band%2C+choir+and+orchestra+participated+in+the+75th+annual+Iowa+All-State+Music+Festival+Nov.+18-20.+
Brian Kling
35 PV musicians across the band, choir and orchestra participated in the 75th annual Iowa All-State Music Festival Nov. 18-20.

PV is well known for its powerhouse of musicians, and these talents were on full display at the 75th annual All-State Music Festival Nov. 18-20 in Ames, Iowa.

35 PV musicians across the band, choir and orchestra took part in the 75th annual All-State festivities including rehearsals with world renowned conductors, guest artists and speakers and a celebratory concert to wrap up the weekend. 

The All-State music festival has put on a consistent traditional program each year since its founding in 1948. With this year’s event marking the 75th anniversary of the festival, the three-day event looked a lot different than in past years, celebrating its “Diamond Jubilee” anniversary.

Trademarks of the unique festival included speeches from motivational speaker Fran Kick and a Young Artist Showcase which included performances by Iowa All-State alums who have since turned professional in their craft, custom medallions, commissioned pieces and more. 

All three All-State ensembles performed world premiered pieces by composers with Iowa roots in the concert. 

The orchestra performed Michael Daugherty’s “Last Dance at the Surf,” a tribute to the last performance Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper gave at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa before their tragic death in a plane crash in 1959. The piece incorporates several musical motifs related to each of the artists, such as guitar riffs by the strings, while also telling the story of what happened the night of the incident. The piece is exciting, nostalgic and chilling, captivating both musicians and audience members in its performance.

Senior percussionist Vinay Joshi felt honored to have performed Daugherty’s piece. “Although I was a bit nervous to perform such a detailed, complex piece on a large stage, it was incredible to be a part of the first group to perform it,” Joshi expressed. 

Following the orchestra, the choir performed Jake Runestad’s “Fireflies,” a multi-movement piece performed for its musical uniqueness and poetic structure. Each movement within the piece serves as its own mini-poem creating discussions about life, empathy, and beauty. The song was widely left up to the interpretation of the festival’s conductor, Edith Copley. Its complex phrases and sporadic entrances left the audience in amazement. 

The band concluded their portion of the concert with Andrew Boysen Jr’s “Phoenix.” This piece was wild, fast and engaging. The title, “Phoenix,” emulates the idea of rebirth from a time of deep sorrow and destruction. The piece itself begins with a frantic and aggressive melody, exploring chaos before death. During the rebirth, the same melody introduced in the beginning of the piece is brought back, but in a pensive manner. The themes within “Phoenix” were very appropriate after the devastating effects COVID-19 had on the world and the music industry within the past year. 

In addition to these commissioned works, one of the biggest changes to the festival was its performance of the patriotic pieces “America the Beautiful” and “Battle Hymn of the Republic.” 

Per tradition, the concert opens with either the band or orchestra performing “America the Beautiful” with the choir, while the other closes the concert with the choir performing “Battle Hymn of the Republic.” This year, legendary composer and conductor Peter Eklund arranged a combined performance of both patriotic songs, producing a massive sound with over 1,000 of Iowa’s finest high school musicians. 

In addition to the festival being in its 75th anniversary, there was another factor of the festival that was to be celebrated: the return to an in-person All-State festival. 

Due to its cancellation last year due to COVID-19, this year’s festival was the first All-State experience for many. “Even though I made All-State last year, everything about the festival this year felt brand-new. The in-person format along with the 75th anniversary celebrations made this weekend one that I will never forget,” expressed junior vocalist Shobini Iyer. 

Excitement for the in-person experience was also shared by returning All-Staters who experienced the festival two years ago. “After taking a year off because of COVID, I forgot how amazing large live performances could be. Everything about the All-State chorus…was incredibly moving,” stated senior vocalist Parker Paulson. 

The return of the 75th Annual Iowa All-State Music Festival served as a reminder of the beauty that can be found within music after hardship and loss. The special festivities the event put on made the experience even more memorable for all musicians.

$480
$1000