Top 5 alternatives to caffeine

Kenzie Ruge
Drinks such as these are commonly consumed by teenagers, but they are very unhealthy.

Frequently, teenagers can be seen with energy drinks, coffee or other unhealthy caffeinated beverages. Many heavily rely on these products to kickstart their days regardless of the damage they can cause. However, it is still possible to increase your energy levels without the harmful effects. Try one of these drinks to increase your alertness without sacrificing your health.

1. Chicory Coffee

This substitute may taste similar to coffee and have coffee in its name, but do not be fooled: chicory coffee does not contain any caffeine. This makes it the perfect placebo for people who need to taste coffee every morning. Chicory coffee comes from the root of cichorium intybus, an herb that grows in the ground. A study also found that chicory coffee also has multiple health benefits. It improves cholesterol, decreases blood sugar, aids digestive processes, along with many other benefits.

2.  Matcha

You have probably seen this drink all over social media, but matcha tea comes with many more benefits besides being trendy. The process of making matcha tea begins with grinding tea leaves which are then mixed into hot water to create the matcha tea we see today. Though it has some caffeine in it, it is much less than other trendy drinks. The health benefits of matcha tea are endless. Matcha contains a lot of a chathecin called epigallocatechin gallate which is believed to have cancer-fighting properties.

3.  Lemon Water

Though it is a simple drink, lemon water should not be overlooked. It is a great and easy way to kickstart your day. Simply add a few drops of lemon juice or slices of lemon to your water in the morning. Lemons contain lots of vitamin C which protects skin against free-radical damage and aids in healing wounds. The liver responds well to lemon juice as it increases the production of enzymes which boosts the liver’s productivity. These are just a few of the many benefits that come with lemon water.

4.  Apple cider vinegar

Commonly seen in most houses, apple cider vinegar is definitely a multi-use solution. It is made from fermenting crushed apples with yeast and other bacteria. However, it is also rich with benefits and is bound to increase your energy levels. Apple cider vinegar has both potassium and enzymes which act as an electrolyte solution. On top of this energy boost, apple cider vinegar decreases cholesterol levels, treats indigestion and can soothe a sore throat.

5.  Dandelion Tea

Most recognize dandelions to be weeds in their yards. However, when they are in tea form, they can be quite beneficial. Dandelion tea contains taraxonal, which is a compound that has anti-inflammatory agents. It is also known to decrease blood pressure. Dandelion tea is a good source of magnesium, calcium, iron, zinc and many others. The source of vitamin C within dandelion boosts the immune system, fighting seasonal colds.

Not only do these alternatives taste amazing, but they are filled with health benefits. Without sacrificing your energy level, you should replace your overpriced, injurious drinks for ones that are better for you.