10 Things to Make With a 3D Printer

Ryan Vance
One of PV’s 3D printers in the engineering room.

3D printers are starting to appear in many homes across the country, but some struggle to come up with simple ideas that have a practical application. Here are just a few ideas that would look great in any home.

1. Toothbrush Holder

A fun and practical way to organize all the toothbrushes in the bathroom without spending extra at stores. This particular design is focused on making the teeth theme central to the bathroom but anyone can design their own holder. 

1. Batter Dispenser

This battery dispenser keeps your AA and AAA batteries sorted. It has two separate storage compartments, one for each kind of battery. It provides a simple way to store as well as access the most common batteries in most houses. That is all the dispenser is meant to do and that is all it does.

1. Spinning Top

A spinning top is a simple way to cure boredom and is much easier to print than to buy at the store. This top is not a difficult design to make but it might be easier to download online. It is something everyone should print because of how it is to do.

1. Earbud Holder

There are many earbud holder files online that are available to download and print. These can keep earbud cables looking fun in a practical way. It is one of many fun earbud storage designs that can be found online. They can help keep track of any wired headphones.

1. Zipper Handle

Printing a Zipper handle is a fast and easy way to replace your broken handles. Everyone has bags that are missing zipper handles and this makes fixing them much easier. This design is  perfect for if you just need one or two.

1. Key Chain

Do stores never spell your right name on the key chain? Print your own to make sure that your name is always spelled correctly. They can be the exact size that you prefer and if it’s not, just make another. It is super simple to make custom keychains or download premade ones.

1. Cup Handle

Some people just enjoy using a handle to hold onto their cups. If this sounds familiar then it might be time to print a cup handle. It can help keep your hands cool while you enjoy a hot beverage. It is easy to print many different sizes to put on all different kinds of cups.

1. Cable Management

Everyone needs a little bit of cable management in their life. Printing some for yourself makes arranging the seemingly endless cords much tidier. Cable management makes a space feel more professional and hiding long cords can make the space even less distracting. There are many different designs for every shape and size of cable.

1. Pencil Organizer

If pencils always end up lying in random places then it is definitely time to make one of these. This is much different than what most stores are selling and is a simple pencil solution. The pictured pencil holder has a very geometric design that adds a modern look to whatever it is placed on.

1. Oreo Dunker

This minimalist tool is a great way to dunk your Oreos while keeping your fingers clean. While a fork works just as well, this easy print can last a lifetime and make Oreos taste even better. This device looks cool in the kitchen and can be brightly colored, making it much harder to lose. An oreo dunker might just be the thing you had no idea you needed in your life.

Whether you print any of the items on this list or not, a 3D printer has a ton of practical purposes. These are just a few of the more basic ideas that can be made with the machine. All of these are solely made from the printer’s filament. Many more complex designs can be constructed using other tools, but they require more effort than the designs in this list. The 3D printer is an amazing invention with the power to make your life easier every day.