Top 10 games to play on your phone in class

Parker Paulson
Games are often a great medium cure the occasional boredom during class.

Everybody knows that if you’re chilling in English class bored out of your mind during a lecture, you have to pull out your phone and kill some time. Some people spend their time on social media, some watch TikToks, but all of those time killers eventually get boring after a while. So, here are 10 banger games that you can play on your phone in class.

1. Flow

Flow is a beautiful game that involves connecting dots in a pattern. This puzzle game is quite simple and addictive, and there is a good range of easier puzzles and also much tougher ones. However, there are a couple drawbacks. Flow is not free on the app store, and it often becomes repetitive after a while.

1. Plants vs. Zombies

Plants vs. Zombies is a staple in phone games, and there is no question as to why it made the list. However, nothing screams “I’m playing a game on my phone” more than a phone turned sideways. With a limited campaign that can only last a week’s worth of school, it’s a shame that this game could not be higher up on the list.

1. Temple Run

This is a great game that has been around forever. However, you need to tilt your phone in order to move your character around, and it is also pretty difficult to get a high score. With ads in between rounds and rounds only lasting from 1-2 minutes, it has a limited playability along with it being fairly obvious you are playing a game on your phone. Overall, though, it is a great app to kill some time.

1. Tetris

The App Store’s adaptation of Tetris is a lot of fun, and it is easy to get addicted to the game that has been around for generations. Although the controls are a bit difficult to get down at first, once you get over the initial challenge of moving the pieces in the right direction, the game is incredibly fun and a great game to play in class.

1. 2048

This game is a perfect puzzle game full of numbers where you simply try to get the number 2048 by combining numbers within itself. There are tried and true methods to get to 2048, but that requires extra research on how to beat the game outside of naturally playing the game as it is. It is incredibly addictive once the player gets a hang of it, but the difficulty of excelling at the game drops the app down a few spaces.

1. Candy Crush

Some people may say that Candy Crush should be the no. 1 game to play on your phone in class, but I personally never got into it as much. The premise is simple: You try to make matches of candy on a board in order to score points. It would be a great no. 1 pick, but just not for me.

1. Clash of Clans

Clash of Clans is a timeless game that can last forever. There are multiple things you can do like build up your own base or attack others. However, this is yet another game where you have to hold your phone sideways to play it. Also, once the player gets to a higher level, the upgrades for towers and defense amenities become days to weeks long, decreasing playability. If you are starting new and fresh, this is a game that can easily get you through an entire school year without being bored.

1. Subway Surfers

Some may say that this game is a knock off of temple run, and I completely agree. However, it is much easier which increases playability. Runs can last anywhere from a minute to one hour, so it is great to keep your streak going throughout an entire class period. There are also objectives in order to get more points and bonuses which you can obtain only through hours of grinding this addictive game. Overall, this game is a heater that cannot be passed up.

1. Retro Bowl

This is almost the perfect game to play on your phone in class. There are no ads, there are hours of replayability and somehow every pass or run you throw in this football game is incredibly satisfying. The player can either make the game easy in order to roll over opponents, or incredibly difficult for a challenge. If you want to go an entire semester playing nothing but a game on your phone, then Retro Bowl is the game for you. It ate Pleasant Valley High School up like no other.

1. Clash Royale

Clash Royale is a timeless game that people have played for literal years. Not calling anyone out, but there are people at Pleasant Valley that started playing Clash Royale in eighth grade and continue to play into senior year. Those are the same people that play the game at family gatherings, prom or even friend hangouts outside of class. There was even a TikTok trend where people tried to get a Clash Royale win in the most absurd places stating that they “won the challenge” as they screen recorded their win then switched to their camera app so people could see that they won while they were at their friend’s wedding. With endless playability and constant incentive to be the best, there is no question why Clash Royale is the best game of all time to play in class.

In no way am I condoning playing phone games in class instead of listening to lectures or doing classwork, but if you are going to make that decision, you must do it right. These games can last people throughout high school and then some, and I hope that people will make good use out of this list.