New wave of art present in the quad cities

Luci Patel
The Quad Cities now has access to art that is usually only seen through a screen. Recently, artwork such as Kehinde Wiley’s has been displayed locally.

Many notable art pieces are now being displayed in the Quad Cities. From talented artists such as John Leslie Breck to newly renowned artists like Kehinde Wiley, there is lots to see.

Recently, art pieces that were usually only accessible from peoples´ phone screens were brought to the Figge, a local art museum  in the Quad Cities. This popular artwork showcases styles such as Impressionism, and are being exhibited to local citizens in person, physically.

Art has been proven to be powerful. Many times, it depicts different emotions and thoughts of the artist, as well as the audience of the piece. When seeing art online, a great deal of judgment and opinion  cloud the way a person actually perceives the art. Seeing art in person gives people a sense of freedom, allowing the viewer to form their own opinions without the influence of outside perspective. 

Furthermore, artists such as John Leslie Breck, painter of “Grey Day on the Charles,”have paved the way for future artists. Breck’s Impressionist style has been studied for many years, and now can be easily accessed by Quad Cities residents. 

Brie Howell is an AP 2D art student at PV and has been able to view art at the Figge. ¨I really think we are fortunate here in the Quad Cities; that we can go to the Figge and see the artwork in real life,¨ Howell stated. 

The looser and shorter brush strokes made by Breck, as well as the focus primarily on the bigger picture, with shapes and colors, rather than the realism of the painting is what makes his paintings famous. He demonstrated an embodiment of art that went beyond what his time period had embraced, with a more relaxed and soft approach.

However, realistic art is also being conveyed at the Figge. Howell has studied and enjoys Kehinde Wiley’s art. ¨I really think we are fortunate here, in the Quad Cities, that we can go to the Figge and see the artwork in real life. For instance, I help teach art classes to little kids and last year we studied Kehinde Wiley,¨ Howell remarked. ¨I was recently able to go to the Figge and see his work, and though I´ve seen it online, it wasn ‘t the same as seeing a giant canvas in front of you. I was able to see all the intricate details I wouldn’t have been able to see online.¨

Wiley’s photorealistic artwork expresses a unique meaning through modern and historical influences. Wiley questioned why most of the portraiture he saw in galleries were of White people. He wanted to increase representation for the African American community through his contemporary paintings. Some of Wiley´s work include a painting of Barack Obama, which is currently at the National Portrait Gallery in Washington D.C.. 

Another way people are going to see art physically is the Van Gogh Exhibit coming to Iowa this year. Vincent Van Gogh is one of the most prominent figures in art history and is known for his Post-Impressionist art form. Many of his works are done in oil painting such as “The Starry Night,”which depicts Van Gogh’s asylum window outlook that he was staying in at the time.

Junior Jasmine Barnes is another AP 2D art student who is looking forward to the Van Gogh exhibition. ¨I am very excited to see the Van Gogh exhibit because it looks very immersive. I´ve already pre ordered tickets for it.¨ Barnes said. The Van Gogh exhibit is a new way of presenting Van Gogh’s artwork. His art is projected substantially on walls and floors which envelopes people into the art. It will be held in Des Moines and will have 500,000 cubic feet of projections.

Now that so much influential art is being displayed and portrayed in the Quad Cities, PV students and local citizens can see each individual brushstroke of the art, rather than the pixels of their phone.