French art comes to Figge

While fall in the Quad Cities is typically reserved for lounging and relaxation, a new art exhibit coming this October could break this trend and excite citizens of all ages. It was announced on January 18 that a French art exhibit, previously located in the Brooklyn Museum in New York, would be making its way to Davenport.

The art exhibit is known as “French Moderns: Monet to Matisse, 1850-1950” and features famous paintings from one of the most influential eras in art. With the early artwork channeling classical styles, transitioning into impressionist styles and finally abstract art, the exhibit accurately and beautifully represents a great time period of artistic genius. Expected to draw in a large scale of the community, this exhibit is being referred to as the most important art exhibit to come to the Quad Cities since 1955.

The Figge has taken it upon itself to fully immerse our community in French culture by providing activities and special events to correlate with the exhibit such as films, lectures, tours and classes for people of all ages. They have also teamed up with local organizations to supply wine tastings, French movies, reading groups and French inspired menus to ensure the most immersive experience possible.

After this news broke on Thursday, another exciting development occured. Over 30 community organizations made it their objective to keep culture alive in our area and have partnered up to ensure that the our community will remain enlightened. A $1 million endowment was established to secure major exhibits over the coming years. With this money, a major exhibition will be coming to the Quad Cities every other year.