Top 11 Non-Teen Romantic Comedy Movies

The poster of Sleepless in Seattle, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, is seen from its 1993 theatrical release showcasing the stark contrasts in their lives before they meet. 
Source: tristar Pictures
Wikipedia
The poster of Sleepless in Seattle, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan, is seen from its 1993 theatrical release showcasing the stark contrasts in their lives before they meet. Source: tristar Pictures

As teenagers, we can’t help but eat up the generic teen rom-coms like “10 Things I Hate About You” and “To All the Boys I Loved Before.” These movies are at times very cringey, but that’s what makes them great. As teenagers, the scope in which we see the world is very small, so movies are some of the best ways to expand our horizons and see what the “real world” is like. Many rom-coms involving characters over the age of 18 are often really great but are not as well recognized among teenagers. Teenagers can’t help but eat up feel-good, fun-loving rom-coms. However, there are many movies that are great while being more mature and realistic. Here is a list of the top non-teenager romance-comedies.

When Harry Met Sally

Often dubbed the greatest romance of all time, “When Harry Met Sally” follows the lives of two University of Chicago graduates through every twist and turn. Much like life— and unlike teen rom coms— nothing is perfect. There are no tropes nor typical stereotypes; it is just the real, ordinary life of these titular characters. Throughout the movie, Director Nora Ephron inserts little snippets and stories of real life couples, and by the end, viewers get to see Harry and Sally live the rest of their lives like these real-life stories.

(500) Days of Summer

Featuring the beloved Zooey Deschanel and “10 Things I Hate About You”’s Joseph Gordon Levitt, this quirky movie starts off by letting you know this is a story of “boy meets girl,” and “not a love story.” The lighthearted movie does not follow the classic tropes that high schoolers are so familiar with. Instead, this hilarious movie jumps back and forth in time to share the complex differences between expectations and reality in adult romance. This movie is my personal favorite and it is available on AppleTV and Amazon Prime Video.

Sleepless in Seattle

As Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan charm the screen, Sleepless in Seattle is the quintessential romance. Hanks plays Sam Baldwin, a widowed architect who lives with his son. When his son calls  the radio, saying his dad needs a new wife, women all over the country swoon for the kindness and character of Baldwin. Baldwin garners fame and the hearts of many women, but there’s just one thing: they have never met face to face in their lives. As an overworked and underappreciated Annie Reed clings on to her idealistic romances, she and Baldwin communicate from Seattle to New York, and spark a romance. In this unlikely romance, the two attempt to meet. This romance will warm your heart and is the perfect feel-good movie.

The Wedding Singer

Adam Sandler brings his classic comedy to this heartwarming story. Julia Sullivan, who is prepared to get married to a terrible, but rich man, hires Sandler’s Robbie to sing. As the sweet Robbie helps prepare for the wedding alongside Sullivan, the terrible behavior of her prospective husband-to-be starts to become more apparent. With the help of Billy Idol and some genuine character, Robbiesteals the heart of Julia, and they lived happily ever after.

Groundhog Day

Spring or Winter? Punxsutawney and the groundhog get TV weatherman Phil stuck in town due to the weather. Waking up, Starting to feel deja vu throughout the day, Phil realizes he is in a time loop. Stuck in the same day over and over again, Phil begins to lose himself until he meets Rita. Stuck in the same day, they spend two days together falling in love, even if it feels like eternity. 

The Big Sick

This bubbly movie was influenced by the real-life romance between Kumail Nanjiani and his wife, Emily V. Gordon. Gordon falls into a coma early in their relationship, but Nanjiani stays with her. As kids, young people often think of themselves as invincible, so seeing such a tender movie of this comedian’s life can leave you crying, both from laughter and tears.

Crazy Rich Asians

This groundbreaking film had everybody’s attention when it came out in 2018. Most notable for its Asian cast, this movie touches upon a classic romance with a hint of drama. With fan favorites like Henry Golding and Constance Wu, this movie takes you on a journey across the world in some crazy rich locations.

Crazy, Stupid, Love

This star-studded cast follows Steve Carrell’s Cal Weaver in the classic makeover-style movie, but with a twist. After finding out his wife had an affair, his life begins to fall apart. Yet, he can’t help but notice the player who exudes confidence and gets all the girls, Jacob Palmer, played by Ryan Gosling. Weaver asks for help, and Palmer helps him change his life. As their lives intertwine in ways that they don’t expect, some of the funniest scenes in romance are birthed. This movie is available on Netflix and HBO Max.

Palm springs

Another movie about getting stuck in a time loop? Adult life must be a lot weirder than highschoolers thought. SNL and Brooklyn Nine-Nine’s beloved Andy Samberg plays this aloof character who lives the same wedding day on a loop. Nobody else is reliving the day like he is, until the forgotten sister of the bride gets trapped in the time loop with him. Together, they must determine how to spend eternity with each other. Viewers get to see this comic duo bond as they kill time and break the loop.

Annie Hall

Eclectic, satirical, and fourth wall breaking, all of which are traits of Woody Allen’s “Annie Hall.” Either extremely self-aware or oblivious in confidence, Allen created this 1977 film with the legendary Diane Keaton. Allen plays the neurotic Alvy Singer while breaking all traditions of romantic cinema. In a relaxed way, a genuine romance, or rather a genuine interaction, where the romance does not always end up perfectly. Whether you like Allen or not, this is the one movie that is worth watching.

My Best Friend’s Wedding

Two Best friends as young kids promise that if they’re still single by 28, they will marry each other, a simple and lighthearted promise that screams innocent love. Julliane Potter and Michael make this innocent promise in “My best Friend’s Wedding.” They realize that when only one side of the promise is single, it is a recipe for disaster. Julliane always had this plan as a backup but when the time comes and Michael is ready to marry somebody else four days before the deadline, Julliane makes it her job to ruin this wedding. This comedic movie shares her journey to win back her childhood friend in a hilariously sweet movie.