REVIEW: Don’t Worry Darling

Alene Keppy
“Don’t Worry Darling” hit theaters September 23, 2022.

The highly anticipated film, “Don’t Worry Darling,” was released on Sept. 24, 2022. This psychological thriller proved to be a riveting movie despite the cast drama and mixed opinions on social media.

The movie follows Jack, Alice and their picture perfect life in 1950’s California. Jack and all the other men of the town, Victory, go to work everyday while the women stay at home. The work the men do is never talked about and, eventually, Alice discovers things in her town that are not what they seem after her friend, Margaret, starts acting odd. The leader of the town, Frank, is worshiped by all the citizens of Victory. Alice finds him abnormal and questions him, sensing that something is off in their community.

Florence Pugh and Harry Styles play Alice and Jack Chambers with perfection. Pugh’s performance was incredible and carried the whole film. Fans were confused with Styles’ accent from watching a few clips of him acting. However, there is a reason for his dodgy accent that the film explains and, considering that this is Styles’s first main role in a film, he did exceptionally well. The cinematography and score also added a lot to the film. The sharp cuts and music for different scenes established the mood for the settings. 

Junior Maggie Wanek recently watched the film. “Don’t Worry Darling was an engaging movie that kept you guessing. Florence Pugh was an amazing leading actress. On the outside, everything was beautiful but there was a dark twist that made it very interesting,” Wanek stated.

Even though the movie was phenomenal, there were a few things that could’ve been improved. The first half of the movie went by very quickly and didn’t give viewers much time to process what was going on. The pacing was a little rushed at moments and could’ve been slower by developing some of the characters’ storylines to enhance the plot more. 

There were many plot holes that left viewers confused. Junior Emily Porshke also watched the film. “It wasn’t what I was expecting at all. It was one of those movies that didn’t truly click until the last five minutes,” said Porshke. Everything made more sense towards the end, but there were still many questions that viewers didn’t get the answers to.

The ending of Don’t Worry Darling was very exhilarating. The explanation for different instances throughout the film was revealed in a unique way and the panic leading up to the last second was very suspenseful. If viewers want to be left at the edge of their seats while watching a movie, they should definitely consider watching Don’t Worry Darling.