Spartan Shield Staff’s Favorite Movies

+A+collage+of+Staff+favorite+movies+and+their+respective+theatrical+release+covers
Letterboxd
A collage of Staff favorite movies and their respective theatrical release covers

You may be reading the articles published by this year’s Spartan Shield staff, but do you want to know the people behind the articles? As Arts & Entertainment Editor, I believe movies are some of the strongest ways to get to know somebody, so here is this year’s staff picks for favorite movies!

10 Things I Hate About You (Karin)

“10 Things I Hate About You” is the classic teen rom-com. Kat Stratford and her sister have a rule set by her dad that one can’t date until the other does. The dad does this since he knows Kat hates all boys and would never want to date one. To try and free Kat’s sister, a boy pays Heath Ledger’s iconic Patrick Verona to go and do the impossible: get Kat to go out with him. What first started as a ploy by others for their interest, this movie follows Kat and Patrick as they embark on one of the best classic rom-com journeys.

Avengers: Infinity War (Jake)

Starting 11 years prior with Iron Man and Captain America, Infinity War is the ultimate culmination of one of the best collections of media. Action, drama, comedy, and the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe come together to defeat one crazy boss: Thanos. With fan favorites like Spiderman, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Antman all coming together, News Editor Jake Wilsted loves that “a collection of several movies and plot lines come together to create something fantastic.”

Braveheart (Isaiah)

Revenge, revolt, and freedom: 1995’s Braveheart is a bold epic featuring the rise against English rule. This movie follows Scottish warrior William Wallace as he seeks revenge for the slaughter of his childhood love. As the conflicts grow larger and larger, Site manager Isaiah Steele says the movie evolves from a quarrel into a revolution, sharing an epic battle for freedom.

Cats: 2019 (Tommy Glennon)

Most known for its long run as a world-class musical, this whimsical movie remake of Cats is… definitely a movie. As Tommy Glennon, one of our copy editors, best put it, “ [Cat’s] is an amazing movie, it’s so funny. Taylor Swift is in it and also it’s [just] so silly? Like why is Judi Dench a cat and Idris Elba just spins really fast at one point and explodes?? So funny 10/10.” Whether you are a Swiftie or a fan of craziness, you will love this movie.

Dirty Dancing

Patrick Swayze, romance, and the iconic dance scene; this movie is the quintessential 80s movie. It’s got romance, comedy, dancing, and a flood of that distinct 80s vibe that our Innovation Manager Quinn Russell loves.

Everything, Everywhere, All at Once (Kushi)

Just a movie about doing laundry and taxes. And an Everything bagel. A total experience that can make you laugh out loud, cry tears, and make you go what the f*** In the span of 2 minutes. An absolute experience from start to finish, Co-Editor in Chief Kushi Maridu believes that this movie is an incredible movie that everybody should watch.

Fight Club (Lydia)

Brad Pitt, insomnia, and a soap-making business; Fight Club is the 1999 thriller and is considered one of the best movies ever. To Lydia Sommer, our PV Only Editor, “the psychological twists were really captivating.” The story is so much more than just a soap-making  insomniac, and, “I also really liked the chaos, havoc, and impulsiveness of this movie.” Whether you watch it for Brad Pitt, the psychological twists, or the action and violence, Fight Club is unquestionably one of the best movies out there.

Ford vs Ferrari (Sam Brown)

America vs. Italy, Ford vs. Ferrari tells more than just a story about two car companies in competition. This 2019 movie is copy editor Sam Brown’s favorite movie. It follows the true story of car designer Carroll Shelby as he attempts to complete the true underdog story of auto racing: defeat the juggernaut, Ferrari. In this film, there is plenty of drama, action, and racing for all sports and car lovers that are looking to watch the true story behind some of the world’s most famous brands.

In the Mood for Love (Rupika)

Two couples living in the same apartments face the most unwelcome circumstance: their respective spouses have been caught having an affair with each other. As these two cope with their personal situations, the most unique and unusual relationship starts to brew. This is Feature Editor Rupika Jai Ganesh’s favorite movie because of the raw, authentic feel behind it.

La La Land (Shobini)

Sunsets, Retro MGM, and the city of stars: Damien Chazelle’s La La Land encapsulates the perfect feeling with this movie. The comedy, the drama, the authenticity, and the way reality goes awry, and everybody breaks into song; this is a vivacious film that can lighten up any mood. Co-Editor in Chief Shobini Iyer has proudly touted La La Land as her favorite movie since its 2016 release. Constantly telling others to watch this masterpiece, many of her friends and peers gave this movie a shot and now love it.

Lord of the Rings (Daniel Z.)

Rings, Elves, Hobbits, and the fantastical world of Middle-Earth. Tolkien’s imagination ran wild with the creation of the mystical masterpiece: The Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson transcribes this literature into a brilliant trilogy that is considered to be one of the best fantasy movies of all time. Sports Editor Daniel Zietlow loves the world-building in the trilogy and enjoys the length of the movies, giving him a lot of minutes to enjoy the beautiful settings and characters of this movie.

Pride and Prejudice (Leila)

Based on Jane Austen’s book of the same name, this period drama is one of the best book-to-movie adaptations of all time. This movie follows Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennett and her life in the Victorian era. Mr. Darcy and Bennett meet, and sparks fly in this classic period drama. Opinion Editor Leila Assadi loves both the book and the movie and appreciates how similar the movie is to the book.

Scary Movie 3 (Oskar Barudin)

The third installment of the series, Scary Movie 3 is the template for a good parody. This movie is hilarious at poking fun at modern horror, stereotypes, and tropes seen in movies.

Secret Life of Pets 2 (Luci)

This whimsical movie for all ages has lovable characters head to the farm and see some new settings. Luci Patel says, “I like the cats and bunnies.”

When Harry met Sally (Katy)

Often dubbed the greatest romance of all time, “When Harry Met Sally” follows the lives of two University of Chicago graduates through every twist and turn. There are no tropes nor typical stereotypes; it is just the real, ordinary life of these titular characters. Copy editor Katy Babcock enjoys the lighthearted, entertaining feel this movie provides.

La Haine (Pranav Suresh)

As a black-and-white French movie from the 90s, the pretentiousness of the movie seemed blinding to the point that I was hesitant to spend 2 hours on it— but then I watched it. La Haine, which translates to “Hurt”, follows three young men of a marginalized Parisian neighborhood as they cope with the death of their friend, who was shot by police during a protest. The viewer sees the three contrasting personalities work through grief, anger, power, and pride as they roam the streets waiting to hear more about their injured friend. Every scene leaves the viewer in awe, leaving them begging to know what happens next. This movie is spectacular, and although it may be out of the comfort zone of many, those willing should watch this masterpiece unfold.

For more information about any of these movies, click here.