Rags to riches: BTS’ rise to international stardom

Leila Assadi
A mini collage of BTS albums represents just 11 of the nine studio albums, seven compilation albums, 11 singles and six extended plays the band has released since their debut in 2013.

On Nov. 15, tens of thousands of people viewed the Recording Academy’s YouTube livestream of the 2023 Grammy Nominations. Wishful fans watched, hoping to hear their favorite artists nominated in any of the 91 categories.

BTS’s fans, known as ARMY, were not left disappointed. 

The South Korean boy band bagged three nominations, including Best Music Video, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance and featured artists for Album of the Year. 

Their music video for “Yet to Come” is the first Korean song in the Grammy’s 64 year history to be nominated. BTS, accumulating 6 nominations since 2018, is also the first and only Korean group to be a Grammy nominee. 

In recent years, the band has amassed countless awards, heightening their media attention. However, this immense stardom has not always been a reality. 

In a true “rags to riches” tale, BTS’ hard work, talent and passion brought them into the Western music industry and popularized K-pop on a global scale. 

Difficult Start

The idea of creating Bangtan Sonyeondan (BTS) began in 2010 with Bang Sihyuk, BTS’s executive producer and former BigHit Entertainment CEO. Bang scouted Kim Namjoon (RM) an underground rapper who eventually became the first member of BTS. 

BigHit held auditions for the other six members who joined over the course of two years: first Min Yoongi (Suga), followed by Jung Hoseok (J-Hope), Kim Seokjin (Jin), Jeon Jungkook, Kim Taehyung (V) and Park Jimin.

When first debuting in 2013, BTS was considered a small player against larger companies and more popular groups. The seven members shared a single dorm room and bathroom, training from sunrise to sunset, working tirelessly to reach the success they desired. 

These efforts did not initially provide the intended results. 

Their first single, “No More Dream,” quickly faded from the Korean music scene after its release. Broadcasts of their performances were cut short and BigHit was on the brink of bankruptcy. They faced verbal attacks because of their makeup and not representing the Korean “beauty standard.”

But BTS knew they were doing something different. Unlike other artists who focused songs on love and heartbreak, BTS explored themes ranging from troubled youth, corrupt leadership and many other various social issues. 

Though they continued to struggle, the band persevered, expanding their songs to cover themes such as depression and mental health—topics that most K-pop groups shied away from.  

Their hard work finally paid off in 2015. 

Rise to Fame

The year 2015 marked the release of BTS’s third extended play “The Most Beautiful Moment In Life.” The album’s lead single, “I Need U,” catapulted the group into the Korean spotlight. This success, which they so desperately needed, saved the group from disbandment. 

“I Need U” was a reinvention of the band’s music style and sound. Though maintaining the same themes, the song made a shift from hip-hop to emotional R&B—a shift that resonated with a large audience. 

BTS received the Best Male Dance award for “I Need U” at the 2015 Melon Music Awards, making it their first major award since debut. Invitations to KCONs (K-pop music festivals) in 2015 in the United States and Europe solidified the groups rise to fame. 

Infiltrating the Western music scene

Though 2015 marked the start of BTS’s success in Korea, there was another industry that had yet to be broken into: the western music scene—historically, a racist and xenophobic industry. 

The start of BTS’s rise to American fame began with their debut on the Billboard 200; their 4th extended play, “The Most Beautiful Moment in Life, Part 2”, ranked No. 171. This popularity resulted in their 2017 U.S. television debut at the Billboard Music Awards where they performed “DNA” and received the top social artist awards. 

It can be difficult to understand how impressive of a feat this initial debut was, especially in retrospect to their popularity in 2022. 

Leading music streaming services and distribution companies are under the control of Western management, and these companies control who and what they stream. 

Historically, Western artists have had an easier time entering the charts and receiving nominations. BTS entered and dominated an industry controlled by the West despite having major cultural differences and language barriers. 

In 2021, BTS’s song “Butter” was the year’s number one single, broke the record for the most YouTube views in 24 hours (108.2 million views), and topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 10 weeks. Throughout the entire year, BTS’s songs ranked #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for 14 weeks. 

Despite having reaped immeasurable success and Western industry accolades, BTS’ Korean music was boycotted by some western DJs and radio stations. Their reason: American audiences do not like non-English music, but this excuse has no merit. BTS’s “Map of the Soul: 7” was the best-selling album of 2020 in the US. 

It was not until BTS released their first full-English song, “Dynamite,” that radio stations gave them major attention. “Dynamite” proved that Western DJs and radio stations resisted music by artists who don’t speak English. 

Senior Aarya Joshi is a fan of BTS and has recognized this trend in Western media. “The only airtime they get is for their fully English songs like ‘Dynamite’ and ‘Butter.’ Despite breaking records with their Korean songs like ‘Boy With Luv’ and ‘DNA,’ those songs barely got any airtime,” she said. “Their music is so unique, compelling, and abstract, but all Western media cares about is what music is ‘American’ enough to be broadcasted.”

Numerous interviews compared the band to white artists and discredited their talent, calling them “girls” along with other xenophobic and racist comments. A German radio host went as far as to compare BTS to “some crappy virus that hopefully there will be a vaccine for soon as well.” 

Through all of this, BTS has dominated music industries, not just in Korea, but globally. 

Why is BTS different?

Because of BTS’s unimaginable popularity and fame, many wonder, why BTS? What makes seven Korean men different from other musicians around the world? 

There is not just one answer to this question, as multiple factors led to the success of BTS. 

Their unique concepts are one aspect. It is a trend for many artists to forget their roots as they garner more fame, but this has not been the case for BTS. Their music is centered around their identity as Korean citizens with themes that reflect Korean culture and social issues. 

It is not uncommon for the band to include Korean dialects in their songs or don traditional Hanbok clothing. 

This dedication to maintaining the culture and messages that started their career reflects positively on their values and genuinity as a band. 

These values are also represented by their actions which speak louder than their words. 

Suga donated 100 million won, the equivalent of nearly $75,000, to Keimyung University Dongsan Hospital to help children battling cancer, as well as another 100 million won to Hope Bridge Korea Disaster Relief Association to help those affected by COVID-19. 

After releasing a statement in support of Black Lives Matter and calling out racism and violence against black people, BTS and their company donated one million dollars to Black Lives Matter. In 24 hours, their fans matched this donation. 

Within the United Nations, BTS are the UN Special Presidential Envoys for Future Generations and Culture. This role allowed them to meet with President Biden to discuss international anti-Asian hate crimes. 

BTS also breaks stereotypes and does not cast itself into a box. Most notably, BTS redefines gender constructs. Though people have verbally attacked the group, saying the members “look like girls,” BTS still sports gender-neutral clothing. Accessories to these outfits include jewelry, corsets and clothes from luxury brand’s women’s collections. 

BTS is also not afraid to wear makeup while in America, despite it being more “taboo” than in South Korea. They show that men do not risk losing their masculinity by wearing makeup. 

It is by breaking stereotypes and crossing borders that BTS gained what they consider the greatest cause of their success: their fans. 

BTS creates music that does not stick to one genre, but maintains the use of universal messages. This versatility allows for their music to connect with a wider audience. 

Now, despite having tens of millions of fans worldwide, BTS still takes the time to connect with their fans. Through Instagram, Vlive and Weverse, taking the time to respond to fan questions and comments shows BTS’s genuine appreciation of their fans. This appreciation makes fans feel closer to BTS. 

Joshi recognizes this artist-fan connection and notes it as a reason for their success. “It’s impossible to miss how genuine BTS’s love is for their fans. It’s also a love that goes both ways. Even when I just became a fan, I could tell how powerful the love is,” she said. 

Most recently, the group performed a free concert in Busan, South Korea. This concert was a gift and temporary farewell to their fans, as days later they announced their mandatory military enlistments. BigHit announced that BTS will reunite in 2025 after the last member returns from his service. 

With all of their awards and accolades, BTS is much more than just a boy band—they represent South Korea on a global scale and provide relatable messages that resonate with millions around the world. 

It is through BTS’s blood, sweat and tears that they helped bring the culture of a small country in East Asia to the forefront of pop culture, all while maintaining their core values and integrity as a band.