REVIEW: Glass Onion

A yacht, an island and a murder mystery, “Knives Out” writer and director Rian Johnson repeats his magic in “Glass Onion: A Knives Out Story.”
Glass Onion was filmed and takes place during the height of the pandemic in 2020, featuring different COVID-19 protocols like masks and social distancing.
Wikipedia

The comedic murder mystery is full of twists to fulfill the dream of anyone who loved playing Clue growing up. 

In its first week, the film earned an estimated $15M at the box office, a similar performance to that of its previous film “Knives Out” in its opening week. However, after its debut in only 700 theaters on Nov 23, the film’s run in theaters came to end after just a week, with anticipation of it being available on Netflix to stream on Dec 23. 

Daniel Craig’s internationally acclaimed detective Benoit Blanc is on the big screen for the second time, while he is invited to a weekend retreat on the private island of Miles Bron, played by Edward Nortan, where he will stay at the Glass Onion, with the task of solving a murder mystery game. When one of the guests unexpectedly drops dead (for real) the game quickly develops into a full blown investigation. 

Junior William Gorman was impressed by the film. “My thoughts on who it was were constantly changing,” Gorman said. “I could never fully decide who did it or what was about to happen until the big reveal.” 

Craig’s role as the famed detective is nothing short of captivating. Those who are fans of his time as the infamous James Bond will be pleased to know that Craig takes on a softer, more loveable side with detective Benoit Blanc and his smooth southern accent. Craig plays this softer role while still maintaining that quick and cool side that he brought out with Bond.  

Beyond Craig the cast is littered with high-profile names and talent, with some big stars making cameos here and there. 

Alongside the leading detective are the already mentioned Ed Norton, and leading lady Janelle Monae. Other “A-listers” who make their appearances as a part of the main cast include Dave Bautista and Kathryn Hahn, who both are well established and known for their work within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Hamilton’s Leslie Odom Jr. made his way off the broadway stage and back to the big screen for another murder mystery, after his role in “Murder on the Orient Express” (2017). 

Kate Hudson, who is typically known for her predictable rom-com roles, goes outside her usual trope in the film and owns it, and brings her character’s eccentric personality to life. Younger viewers will be interested to see “Outer Banks” actress Madelyn Cline make her way to the big screen as well.

What makes the film different from “Knives Out” is not only just the cast, but the stronger comedic presence than the previous. Although Johnson does an excellent job in “Knives Out” with light hearted comedy, “Glass Onion” is full of non stop laughter. Senior Matthew Murphy felt the film did an excellent job of incorporating the comedic aspect, “It helped break up the suspense by adding in comedy. I thought it was even funnier than the first one.” 

The film wouldn’t be complete without a mind twisting mystery, and Johnson has now established himself as the master of the murder mystery. By placing red herrings throughout the plot, Johnson keeps viewers on the edge of their seats, leaving themselves with one question: who did it?

The film is an experience in its own way. A mix of intense mystery with non stop jokes and laughs. With constant twists and turns, and lots of laughs, “Glass Onion” should be on everyones ‘must watch’ lists.