Zach Bryan Fights Corrupt Ticket Sales

Caroline Corcoran
Getting a hold of tickets leaves many fans stressed and overwhelmed during elongated registration and purchasing processes.

At concerts, live music enhances bonds between artists and fans, who are otherwise limited to listening to their favorite songs on streaming platforms, or the radio. However, this special bond comes at a cost that puts the integrity of artists into question.

As anticipated by many, Zach Bryan’s “Burn Burn Burn” tour was announced on Jan. 19 through the use of the ticket company AXS, the ticketing site partnered with American Express and Trivago. As fans began the selective ticket registration process, many prior problems that arose with ticket purchasing in the past were addressed. Bryan’s tour has set ticket prices with thorough purchase and resell protocol to deter external parties from profiting and increase the trust and ticket accessibility among fans. 

Fans’ appreciation for artists has grown as efforts to improve ticket accessibility increase. Senior Ryan Doyle is an avid fan of Bryan’s music and hopes to see him live. “Zach Bryan’s outrage with Ticketmaster and low ticket prices show how much he values his fans and shows he is not in it for the money,” he said. An artist’s ability to speak out against injustices shows their appreciation and concern for their fans. Low ticket prices reflect an artist who is more concerned about fans getting to see them than making a large amount of money. 

Since its start in 1976, Ticketmaster has grown exponentially to control well over the majority of ticket sales for live events. Generally as artists continue to grow, the cost of tickets adjusts in accordance. As the dominant ticket company, Ticketmaster has taken advantage of this supply and demand chain as the costs of tickets rise—especially for top performing artists. 

On a local and national level, with artists including Taylor Swift and Morgan Wallen, fans faced two challenges regarding live events: obtaining tickets and paying extreme prices. For Swift “Eras Tour,” ticket prices were originally priced between $49-$459. Directly following the ticket release, tickets were almost immediately resold on secondary platforms for close to double the original ticket price, while some locations had tickets soaring into the 5-figure range. This has sparked discussion of what is reasonable with tickets and what is expected of artists when they go on tours. 

When Swift and Wallen released tickets for their 2023 tours, many third parties began to purchase these tickets and resell them for profit. With each resold ticket from third party websites, Ticketmaster receives a portion of the sales. After Ticketmaster canceled ticket sales for Swift’s tour, fans felt desperate and panicked, leading several to impulsively buy tickets resold for thousands of dollars. Profiting off of resold tickets is unethical as the practice takes advantage of fans who would go to extreme measures to see their idols perform. This results in an increase in ticket costs for fans and a decrease in accessibility for genuine fans to experience live performances.

Wallen also announced a tour that includes a performance in Moline, Illinois. Anticipation built up as many fans were excited to see their favorite artist. “I was really excited to hear one of my favorite artists was performing so close to home. Once I finally got the chance to purchase tickets, it was just too expensive,” Doyle continued.

It’s difficult to tell if ticket prices are being artificially inflated by artists or if ticket companies and second hand sellers are raising ticket prices. Regardless, this practice of increasing profit margins and taking advantage of loyal fans willing to pay high prices is unethical and needs to be addressed.

Working class fans paying upwards of $400 for general admission tickets is a standard that artists like Bryan are trying to change by setting maximum pricing at $130 with $10 to $20 service fees. Outrageous prices concern artists who care deeply for their fans’ well being—which includes their financial flexibility. Affordable shows allow all people who connect with an artist an equal chance to attend concerts.

For many fans, music creates an escape and a sense of belonging. As people listen to music, they form deep bonds with songwriters for the experiences they create with their songwriting. The challenges around obtaining tickets create a conflict with the relationship. Bryan is setting a new standard for live events that expects artists who have a genuine passion for performing in front of loyal fans to create tours that consider their fans’ best interests. 

Purchasing live event tickets should be an exciting process, not an overwhelming task that drains both peoples’ energy and bank accounts.