Top 9 pup-tacular athletes in Puppy Bowl XIX

This past Super Bowl Sunday, the Puppy Bowl held its nineteenth game, showcasing adoptable pups from all over the country. This year had some dog-gone good competition, with fur-rific athletes on both team Ruff and team Fluff. However, not all dogs are created equal. Let’s take a look at some of the most valuable puppies during this year’s game.

1.  In the number one spot, Vivianne was invaluable on team Fluff. She showcased her athletic prowess and perseverance when she got her front leg stuck through a loop on a toy, and still managed to make the touchdown. She also scored the first field goal of the game and scored yet another touchdown against team Ruff’s Moose after winning an intense game of tug of war. But saving the best play for last, Vivianne scored the winning touchdown with less than five seconds to go in the game, securing team Fluff’s second win in a row.                                                                                                                                   
  2. Winner of the best defensive play of the game, DaVinci was invaluable on team Ruff’s defense, scoring two defensive touchdowns against team Fluff and making a field goal to tie the game with less than two minutes of play time to go. DaVinci also prevented many of team Fluff’s players from scoring, demonstrating the art of defense throughout the game.                                                              
  3.  Named MVP (Most Valuable Puppy), Pickle made some dill-icious plays early in the game when he formed a rivalry with team Ruff’s Emma. Pickle managed to score two touchdowns for team Fluff early on, ultimately   giving them the momentum they needed to win the game.
  4. This pup hailing from the island of Dominica scored three touchdowns for team Ruff during the game, including a double touchdown with Espresso which sent the game into the first ever Puppy Bowl overtime. The Humane Society of Dominica recognized Kokobean’s potential early on, as Kokobean was the puppy of a stray dog who got rehomed. This organization also has an active youth group that gains the trust of stray dogs around the island in order to bring them in to be spayed and neutered so that puppies like Kokobean won’t be in danger.                                            
  5. A Drive of the Day award nominee, Espresso got a touchdown for team Fluff early on in the game, but was fumbling the toy often. Despite her nerves, Espresso soon got her energy back when she scored a double touchdown with Kokobean, sending the game into the first ever Puppy Bowl overtime.
  6. Pascal is the winner of the Drive of the Day award for his double reverse play where he ran 99 yards for a touchdown. He also scored another touchdown for team Ruff after winning a tug of war with opponent Otto, bringing the toy all the way to the end zone. This floppy-eared athlete was a real asset to team Ruff all the way through the game, and one of the cutest athletes on the field. 
  7. A nominee for the Underdog award, Inya stole the audience’s heart when she was too shy to leave the tunnel. Even with the referee’s encouragement and an additional pep talk, Inya was indifferent about the game. Hailing from a Native American community, Inya was taken in by the Nagi Foundation when she was found roaming around the preservation. The Nagi Foundation provides animals with medical care and promotes harmony with nature, including all animals. Their youth group programs pairs shelter dogs with youth people in the community to help both dog and human learn about the importance of nature and how to socialize with each other.                                                                       
  8. Winner of the Underdog Award, Moocow formed a special bond with the referee when he was reluctant to get on the field. The ref noticed their matching black and white colors and offered him some encouragement, leading to Moocow winning the Underdog Award, given to the most reluctant pup.                                                                                                                                                                                                      
  9. Although this little pup was born without his front legs, he always makes sure to keep a paws-itive attitude! Hailing from Vintage Pet Rescue of Foster, Rhode Island, Joey has been the heart of his living facility. The rescue center was intended to be a retirement home for older dogs, but founder Marc Peralta realized that bringing Joey in was one of the best things he could’ve done. Joey brings new life to the senior pups, particularly his senior friend Bloo. Joey is also sponsored by the 15 out of 10 Foundation, created by the We Rate Dogs social media company, in order to help cover all of his special medical needs.