Top 5 NCAA track moment

Pexels via Andrea Piacquadio
It was a record-breaking indoor season for NCAA athletes.

5) Katelyn Tuohy’s Dominant Double

Katelyn Tuohy made winning NCAA championship titles look easy as she jogged to wins in both the 3000 and 5000 meter races. In the 5000, after Alabama phenom Mercy Chelengat led most of the early race, Tuohy made a move to take the lead with 800 meters to go and never looked back. She employed the same strategy in the 3000, taking the lead at the same mark but really blew her competitors over the last 400 meters, which she covered at a searing 4:27 pace. 

4) Jasmine Moore: Jumping Queen

Jasmine Moore certainly went underappreciated last year as she completed both Indoor and  Outdoor NCAA Championship doubles in the Triple Jump and the Long Jump. This year, she demanded attention from the track and field world, setting two collegiate records and one American record between two events. While this performance was thrilling, what’s more exciting is that Moore is now a clear contender for medals in both of these events at the 2023 World Championships and the 2024 Olympics.

3) Kyle Garland’s Heptathlon Win

After World Championship 4th-placer Ayden Owens-Delerme took both the Indoor and Outdoor NCAA titles for the combined events last year, Kyle Garland came into this competition as the underdog. However, all his doubters were quickly proven wrong, as he not only broke the collegiate record, but also came close to Ashton Eaton’s world record of 6645 points with a score of 6639. 

2) Britton Wilson’s 49.48

Making the most of her indoor season after injury and contracting COVID-19, Britton Wilson defeated the overwhelming favorite and reigning US Champion Talitha Diggs in American record fashion. Her mark would’ve actually become the 400 meter world record if Olympic Bronze medalist Femke Bol had not broken it earlier this season. Britton wasn’t done just yet, however, and stormed back as the anchor leg of Arkansas’ 4×400-meter relay with a blistering split of 49.20 to break the 4×400 indoor collegiate record.

1) Julien Alfred’s 6.94 and 22.01

Julien Alfred set the collegiate record in the indoor 60m last year in the prelims of the NCAA Indoor Championships, but faded to a disappointing fifth place in the final. This year, she was back with a vengeance as she broke her own 60m record on five separate occasions, with the last time occurring in the finals of the 2023 NCAA Indoor. Alfred secured a second NCAA title in the 200 meter race, breaking that collegiate record as well and defeating the overwhelming favorite Favour Ofili.