REVIEW: Lana Del Rey makes a spiritual return to indie rock

This is the cover art for Lana Del Rey’s ninth studio album, Did you know that theres a tunnel under Ocean Blvd.
Courtesy of Interscope/Polydor
This is the cover art for Lana Del Rey’s ninth studio album, “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd.”

After over a decade in the industry with a legacy of eight resoundingly successful studio albums to look back on, singer-songwriter Lana Del Rey has already cemented herself into the indie rock sphere. Her release of “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd” on March 24 proved to be her magnum opus, a meticulously crafted tracklist of dark, somber and cursed sounds that only Lana is capable of. 

Opening with a stunning gospel intro, Lana reminds us how heavenly a simplistic piano ballad can be. With her chilling line “Do you think about Heaven? / Do you think about me?”, we are transported to the afterlife with Lana’s memories of her loved ones. Devoted fans will pick up on the lyrics’ subtle references to “Yes to Heaven,” one of her unreleased songs. “The Grants” is a solid track to contextualize the feel for the entire album. 

The lead single from “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd,” the second track off the album was released on Dec. 7, 2022, accompanying an official album announcement. The obscure title is all too fitting for a Lana song, marked by her lyrics’ ability to raise questions and, undeniably, some brows.

The obscure title is all too fitting for a Lana song, marked by her lyrics’ ability to raise questions and, undeniably, some brows.

Arguably the most melancholy track on the album, “Sweet” is a stunning ballad that is guaranteed to induce full body chills. Lana’s lyrics “I’ve got magic in my hand, stars in my eyes” conjure up entrancing images. With its not-so-subtle hints of melancholy and isolation, this track truly feels like a warm hug. 

At 7 minutes and 13 seconds, “A&W” is the longest track on the album, split into two juxtaposed halves separated by an unexpected rhythmic 180. To the listener, the chilling gaps in singing as Lana gasps for breath produces a discomfort that is only fitting for the context of the song. The nihilism that came earlier in “A&W” with lyrics like “It doesn’t really matter / Doesn’t really, really matter” is later broken by the 15th track on the album, “Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis),” with its danceable beat and psychedelic backgrounds. 

In “Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste),” Lana produces an eerie sound that is sure to leave listeners in a contemplative mood. As the familiar somber piano takes center stage, Lana’s haunting vocals linger even after the song has concluded. 

A reference to the Japanese art of putting broken pottery pieces together with gold, the eighth track “Kintsugi” is a metaphor for embracing one’s own flaws rather than concealing them. Sharing a vulnerable family experience, Lana sings about the devastating feelings of grief. Like “Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste),” her repetitive lyrical lines require patience, but with time, the repeated phrases culminate to fruition. Lana’s lyrical genius shines through the different meaning she assigns to a line each time she sings it. 

Lana gets deeply personal with “Fingertips,” as if she’s singing from her own diary. There is no central chorus or recurring lyrical line, but rather, a collection of stanzas that the listener cannot possibly know the full context of, but is enthralled regardless.

A stark contrast from the album’s series of emotional piano ballads, “Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)” is a mystical and fairy-like intermission. Its instrumentals are evocative of a winding music box, and Lana’s airy layered vocals are ethereal.

Familial relationships are a recurring theme in “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd,” especially in the next track, “Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he’s deep-sea fishing.” Reminiscent of Lorde’s 2021 album “Solar Power,” this track’s breathtaking chorus is quintessential Lana. 

Familial themes resume in “Fishtail” through Lana’s sung and spoken lyrics of her childhood memories. In “Fishtail,” Lana plays homage to her “Honeymoon” era, but this time, with a more mature, rich sound. The trap beat unexpectedly creeps in, producing a drastic rhythmic shift similar to that of “A&W.” 

The mood of “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd” is loudly interrupted by “Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)” and “Margaret (feat. Bleachers),” which are undeniably stand out tracks on the album. Perhaps it’s the Beatles-esque mood of “Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)” or the rarely wholesome tone of “Margaret (feat. Bleachers),” both of these tracks are unexpected favorites.

The last track on the album, “Taco Truck x VB” samples the original, unheard version of “Venice B***h,” from Lana’s sixth studio 2019 album, “Norman F*****g Rockwell!” The inclusion of one of Lana’s older songs was certainly purposeful, reminding listeners of how much the beloved singer has grown into her own voice.

Motifs of family, love and vulnerability make “Did you know that there’s a tunnel under Ocean Blvd” the singer’s most raw, unfiltered and truthful album to date. With this album, Lana “Lets The Light In” on her deepest introspective thoughts, putting everything out there while somehow still remaining a magnificent mystery.