REVIEW: “Super Mario Bros.”

Drake Hanson
Fans of the new “Super Mario Bros.” movie come from a wide variety of Mario franchise video games.

The long-awaited video-game adaptation “Super Mario Bros.” is finally here, and fans of the iconic video game franchise can finally see their favorite characters on the big screen. Aaron Horvat and Michael Jelenic, directors with extensive experience in animation and previous contributions to the Mario franchise, worked with Shigeru Miyamoto, a producer and game director at Nintendo, to bring the movie to fruition. The movie follows Mario, voiced by Chris Pratt, and Luigi, voiced by Charlie Day, as they journey through Mushroom Kingdom. Mario and Luigi are tasked with saving Princess Peach, voiced by Anya Taylor-Joy, from the grasp of the evil King Koopa (Bowser), voiced by Jack Black.

“Super Mario Bros.” carries a huge nostalgic appeal. Those that grew up in the past three decades all have one thing in common: they grew up playing Mario video games. The Mario franchise has been putting out a variety of Mario video games since the initial release date of Mario Bros. back in 1983. Some of these games include the 2-D, arcade version of Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart on the Wii and sixteen different Mario games on the Nintendo Switch. 

Although this large fan base is the main target audience for the movie, the movie can be enjoyed by anyone. For fans that grew up playing the original Mario video games, the movie serves as a trip down memory lane.

The cast of “Super Mario Bros.” is spot-on; Pratt and Day make a great duo as Mario and Luigi, bringing a perfect blend of humor and heart to their roles. Taylor-Joy voices the damsel-in-distress Princess Peach flawlessly, while Black portrays a menacing Bowser. 

“Super Mario Bros.” also excelled in its animations. The movie screen was always filled with vibrant colors recognizable from the games. The animations and renderings looked amazing; they are a big difference from Disney’s and Pixar’s usual animation style. The textures of all of the landscapes, surfaces and characters were very realistic as well. 

This past weekend alone, the movie grossed over $180M worldwide, and so far, it has grossed a total of over $678M worldwide since its release on April 5, 2023, placing it in the #1 spot for the highest grossing films of 2023. Not only is the movie performing well in the box office, but the critical acclaim is also phenomenal. Critics of the movie have given “Super Mario Bros.” a 7.4/10 on IMDb. On the other hand, the audience gave the movie a score of 96% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Senior Aaron Ingram saw the film this past weekend with a group of friends. “I always played Mario Kart on my Wii when I was growing up, so it was cool to see all the characters in a movie,” Ingram commented. “I thought it [the movie] was kind of dope, considering that they made the movie available to be enjoyed by all ages.”

Also credited to “Super Mario Bros.” smashing success is Universal Studios. So far in 2023, Universal has the highest grossing films above any other production studio. Alongside “Super Mario Bros.” in the top 10 highest grossing films of 2023, are “Puss in Boots: The Last Wish,” “M3GAN” and “Cocaine Bear,” all from Universal Studios. This trend of successful Universal movies is nothing new. Last year, the movies “Jurassic World: Dominion” and “Minions: The Rise of Gru” pushed Universal’s total gross over the $3B mark.

That being said, “Super Mario Bros.” is not without its flaws. The humor was hit or miss; some jokes fell flat and others felt forced. Although anyone can watch and enjoy the movie, it relies partially on fan service, leaving non-fans feeling a bit lost or disconnected from the story. Additionally, the film’s climax felt rushed and unsatisfying, leaving some loose ends dangling and the audience wanting more.

Senior Pranav Suresh saw the movie a couple days after it was released. “I really liked it but I thought it might just be a cash grab. I don’t know why a Super Mario Bros movie is needed, but I don’t know why you wouldn’t want to watch it either. I did enjoy it though.” he commented. “As a kid, I played a lot of Mario Kart. It was one of my favorite games on the Wii.”

Despite the shortcomings, “Super Mario Bros.” is an enjoyable movie that should satisfy both longtime fans of the franchise and newcomers alike. It’s a well-crafted adventure that captures the spirit of the games while still carving out its own identity as a film. Fans of the Super Mario Bros. franchise have been eagerly anticipating the release of the new movie adaptation, and it’s safe to say that “Super Mario Bros.” did not disappoint.