Increase in Iowa High School Cross Country Competition

The Varsity Line-up for the Pleasant Valley Boys Cross Country Team Photo Credit to: Erik Belby

In recent years, the level of competition in Iowa high school cross country has drastically increased. This year, Pleasant Valley has one of its best cross country teams in recent history. However, the school’s state ranking has not made significant improvements.

Currently, the Pleasant Valley’s Boys Cross Country team is ranked 12th in 4A by the Iowa Association of Track Coaches. Last year, the team was ranked similarly around the beginning of the season and ended up finishing 9th place at the 4A State Cross Country Meet. Even with a better team, the Spartans are ranked the same.

However, recent success at the Heartland Cross Country Meet in Pella could propel the team forward in the rankings. The Heartland Meet is one of the largest meets PV attends each year. The best high school cross-country teams from Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas and South Dakota all compete in the race. Despite the strong competition, the varsity team finished in 5th place beating the 4A teams ranked third, fourth, and fifth in Iowa.

The team is excited by their performance at Pella and the effect it could have on the rankings. “I think we will take a big jump in the rankings after knocking off the third ranked team in the state,” said PV varsity runner Joe Knepp.

The increase in competition is evidenced by the successes of a few standout runners. In the 2022 season, runners like Jackson Heidesch of Dowling Catholic, Ford Washburn of Iowa City High and Gabe Nash of Sioux City North stood out above the rest of the competition, breaking meet records. At the 2022 state meet, Jackson Heidesch set the all-time record on the Fort Dodge 5k cross country course at 14:56.66, a pace of 4:48 per mile.

But the meet records were not the only things these elite runners did to change the state. “Heidesch and Washburn were in their own league last season. I think they pulled some runners, especially their teammates, along with them, strengthening the field of runners statewide,” remarked PV varsity runner Jack Perry.

While there are not any standouts this year on the same level as Heidesch, Washburn and Nash, there are many promising prospects. Cedar Falls sophomore, Jaden Merrick, has already laid down impressive times for his age. Currently, his personal record is 15:10, a feat that has never been accomplished by any Pleasant Valley sophomore.

Even though the Iowa high school cross country competition is better than ever, the Spartans are rising to the challenge and staying competitive.