Top five hardest and easiest advanced placement courses

Although AP classes are rigorous, some are less challenging than others, allowing students to choose a class rigor they feel comfortable at. Photo credit to: Canva

Students looking for a more rigorous course load often take advanced placement (AP) courses to challenge themselves. However, some students fear that they may bite off more than they can chew. Fortunately for them, not all APs are equal in difficulty, meaning that students can choose which AP classes they want to take based on the level of difficulty for which they feel prepared. Without further ado, here are the top five hardest and easiest AP courses.

It is important to note that these listicles excluded language and art AP courses because this listicle focuses on AP courses that can be taken without a lot of prerequisite knowledge. 

Hardest AP courses:

1. AP Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism

AP Physics C is the counterpart for AP Physics 1 and 2. E&M is specifically designed to be the calculus-based test for AP Physics 2. However, the AP exam in May only consists of units regarding to E&M, hence the name. Despite having a high pass rate of 63% and a 31% 5 rate, this exam is the hardest AP class due to having to do complex derivatives.

2. AP Chemistry

AP Chemistry has previous history at Pleasant Valley but is no longer taught due to a lack of student interest. Nonetheless, AP Chemistry has proved to be a hard exam due to its abstract concepts and a considerable amount of previous knowledge in both math and chemistry. Even though it has a pass rate of 75%, it is good to note that mostly everyone who signs up for this exam has a strong background in these subjects. 

3. AP US History

AP US History, arguably the most difficult AP subject in history, makes its way into number three. Having to cover events from the 1450’s to present time, students are forced to memorize many important dates, characters, events, etc. With a pass rate of 48%, this test is one of the hardest AP tests a student could take. 

4. AP Physics 1

At number four, the infamous AP Physics 1 takes the spot with a pass rate of 45% and 8% of students receiving a 5. Ranging in topics from speed and acceleration to rotational motion, this test is the foundation for college level physics.  

5. AP Calculus BC

AP Calculus BC is an advanced version of AP Calculus AB, with additional topics such as parametric and polar functions along with the entire year being taught at a faster pace. Luckily, Erik Belby, the AP Calculus teacher, goes a little further than just AB to give students an option to opt for the BC exam. Although this test has a 78% pass rate, it is still one of the harder exams. 

Easiest AP courses:

1. AP English Literature

Pleasant Valley does offer AP English Literature as a class. This class is taught by Robyn Samuelson and is typically taken by seniors after taking AP Language and Composition. The AP test is 3 hours long, consisting of a 1 hour long multiple choice section and a 2 hour free response section. The multiple choice section contains 55 questions based on 5 passages the examinee will have to read. The free response section requires the examinee to write 3 essays each analyzing a different passage. The test has a 77.9% pass rate.

2. AP Environmental Science

AP Environmental Science is yet another AP course offered at Pleasant Valley. This class is in its first year of running at Pleasant Valley and is taught by Zachary Marotta. The AP test is 2 hours 40 minutes, consisting of a 1 hour 30 minutes multiple choice section and a 1 hour 10 minutes free response section. The multiple choice section contains 80 questions and the free response section contains 3 questions. The test has a 53.8% pass rate.

3. AP Physics C: Mechanics

Unfortunately, Pleasant Valley does not offer AP Physics C: Mechanics as a class, but they do offer AP Physics 1. AP Physics 1 is a great way to build a good foundation for the AP Physics C: Mechanics exam. Students who are interested in self-studying AP Physics C: Mechanics often talk to Ian Spangenberg, the AP Physics teacher at Pleasant Valley, for additional study materials. The AP test is 1 hour 30 minutes long, consisting of a 45 minutes multiple choice section and free response section. It has a 73.4% pass rate.

4. AP Government & Politics Comparative

AP Government & Politics Comparative is another AP course not available at Pleasant Valley. AP United States Government and Politics is offered at Pleasant Valley, but the class won’t strongly prepare you for the AP Government & Politics Comparative test because they cover different topics. The AP test is 2 hours 30 minutes long, consisting of a 1 hour multiple choice section and a 1 hour 30 minutes free response section. The multiple choice section contains 55 questions addressing 6 countries: China, Iran, Mexico, Nigeria, Russia, and the United Kingdom. The free response section contains an application problem, 2 analysis questions, and one argumentative essay. The test has a 70.5% pass rate.

5. AP Physics 2

AP Physics is one of the AP courses offered at Pleasant Valley. The class is taught by Spangenberg and is usually taken by students who had previously taken AP Physics 1 with Spangenburg. The AP test is 3 hours long, consisting of a 1 hour 30 minutes multiple choice section and a 1 hour 30 minutes free response section. The multiple choice section contains 50 questions and the free response section content 4 questions. The test has a 69.7% pass rate.

Hopefully this information helps students make decisions in regards to their AP course load. Happy testing!