Netflix’s latest addition “Suits” breaks viewership records

Ashwin Parab
“Suits” characters Harvey Specter and Mike Ross cross examine a witness in Season 5, Episode 14

Currently, Netflix has 238.39 million subscribers spanning across 190 countries. These subscribers get access to over 6,621 movies, series and specials, including 3,657 ‘Netflix Original’ titles. Recently, one title has risen above the rest when it comes to viewership: “Suits”

Originally, “Suits” premiered on the USA Network on June 23, 2011. It ran for 9 seasons until the finale aired on Sept. 25, 2019. Less than four years later, the entire series, excluding the 9th and final season, was added to Netflix in late June of 2023.

With complete access to 188 episodes, each spanning around 45 minutes, Netflix subscribers have taken full advantage of the new release. “Suits” landed the number 1 spot on Nielsen Streaming Top 10 for the 12th week in a row and surpassed Ozark for the most overall first place finishes. Additionally, “Suits” had 2.36 billion minutes of viewing in the week of Sept. 4 to Sept. 10 alone. 

The show follows the story of Harvey Specter, senior partner of the Manhattan-based law firm Pearson-Hardman, and his new-hire associate Mike Ross (Patrick J. Adams) who talks his way into getting hired by one of New York’s best firms despite never attending law school. The duo takes on grueling class action lawsuits and revengeful opposing counsel to protect their clients, loved ones and the firm itself. 

The clever solutions and loopholes that Specter and Ross find make the show’s plot nearly impossible to predict, adding to the drama the show often creates. “Suits” is often characterized as fast-paced and viewers are forced to keep up with expedited legal procedure. 

For many, including senior David Todd, this is what makes the show so exciting. “ The show is very fast-paced and held my interest through every episode. You have to keep up with the terminology and jargon, but you eventually become very familiar with the legal process,” he expressed.

Todd also found the character traits of Harvey Specter to be particularly entertaining. “Harvey is easily the best character in Suits. His way of handling situations and outwitting his opponents is the best part of the show in my opinion. His swagger and personality are also very appealing,” he stated.

The show also features other equally witty characters such as paralegal Rachel Zane (Megan Markle), junior partner Louis Litt (Rick Hoffman), secretary Donna Paulsen (Sarah Rafferty), and name partner Jessica Pearson (Gina Torres). 

Senior Spencer Johnson, an avid “Suits” fan, benefited from the show’s new addition to Netflix’s catalog. “I started watching the Suits on Amazon Prime Video but when they started charging per episode, I switched to Netflix,” he shared.

Johnson also shared a similar opinion to Todd. “I like seeing the characters come together when faced with blackmail or a lawsuit. They’re often preoccupied with their own problems but are forced to work together when the firm is at risk. Harvey Specter also preaches a way  to deal with others that makes you look up to him in a sense,” he added. “I think the show has something for every audience. The diversified characters allowed for fans to connect with someone who may be going through a similar problem as them. The show also provides a mix of drama, comedy and some romance, appealing to a wide variety of people.”

As workplace-themed shows like “Suits” continue to break records, streaming services like Netflix will continue to push them forward as a part of their agenda to stay at the forefront of mainstream entertainment.